PDA

View Full Version : Demo TT #3 - TorQue's Tips.

RSI TomCluski
11-10-2009, 01:34 PM
Hello fella's! Welcome to the 3rd edition of "TorQue's Tips", brought to you by me! This week, we will be tackling the Ferrari California, a very different experience to drive in comparison to the previous cars. Also, this car is the first of the TT cars which may require the use of TCS, as it can get very tail happy. I shall be writing this guide from personal experience, and therefore without TCS. So, here goes!

We start with the first corner, obviously. This sweeping right hander has caused me quite a problem, however after a good 20 or so laps, I was managing to hit it consistantly well. You need to be in 4th gear as you approach the corner, tapping the brake before turning in. Start out wide on the left of the track, before you attempt the turn in. The method of tackling this corner is pretty much identical to how you would take it in any other car. However, without TCS, you may need to be more careful with the accelerator in order to prevent excessive oversteer. Should not be to much of a problem however.

The gear change from 4th to 5th should be made as the engine redlines, which should be at the peak of the steepish crest down the straightaway. A particular point when taking "jumps" with a RWD car without TCS, is that it can become very skittish on landing, so try and keep the car straight as you make the jump, and keep it straight on exit. This will minimise this effect.

Now for the next corner, the 120 degree left hander at the end of the straightaway. It is important to try and get the Ferrari as wide to the right of the track as possible before turning in as you slam on the brakes. This will ensure that you have the ideal line on exit of the corner. Another important point specifically concerning the Ferrari without TCS, is that when you are changing down gears, from 5th to 3rd, you should spread out the downshifts over a far wider range. An immediate change down from 5th to 3rd will cause the vehicle to oversteer, slowing your deceleration down, and causing the vehicle to overshoot. You should be changing to 3rd just before you take your "foot" off the brake, and begin accelerating out of the corner. Once again, the exit of this corner is very important, far more than it was with the Mini, as the Ferrari will continue to accelerate up the impending hill.

Not much to say concerning the change up from 3rd to 4th. This should be made as the engine redlines, so whenever you feel it be neccessary.

Now for the slight left hander at the peak of the steep hill. Keep the car in 4th all the way, and approach from as far right on the track as possible. Use the throttle to keep the car's momentum up through the corner, and make sure you keep away from the grass. Just persist with this one, a pretty tricky corner, however I personally believe that this corner is the easiest to take with this Ferrari, in comparison to the Mitsubishi and Mini. I find that you are able to use the throttle far more effectively in ensuring that you get the ideal entree and exit to this, and the impending corner.

Now for the right left chicane. With the power of this Ferrari, the right hander can be rather tricky to take, while giving you a good entrance point for the left hander. You may have to slightly lift off the throttle as you clip the rumble strip on the right hander, in order to prevent the car oversteering (important if not using TCS). However if you are able to take this corner well, then the left hander should be less of a problem. If you feel you have turned in to early, a dab of the accelerator should cure that problem. Once again, persistance is important, and you want to be hitting the rumble strips on the outside of the exit at around 88-90mph. This section is all taken in 4th gear.

As you approach the final corner, you want to be hitting the top of the steep crest at around 104-105mph. Once again, try and keep the car moving dead straight, as the car will go very skittish as the body weight returns to the ground after "jumping" the crest.

The final corner is pretty simple. Start out wide on the right, brake, change down to 3rd, and turn in. As you accelerate out of the corner, the throttle will in most cases need to be feathered in order to keep the back end in check (particularly important when not using TCS).

That's about it really, not much else really to say. Just keep persisting with this one, and you should do fine. Also I would advise not using a ghost, as it tends to put me off. Just a personal preferance.

Good luck! :)

Dark Moon
11-10-2009, 02:19 PM
+1 mate

Once again a good read.

Ske
11-10-2009, 02:39 PM
Now for the slight left hander at the peak of the steep hill. Keep the car in 4th all the way, and approach from as far right on the track as possible. Use the throttle to keep the car's momentum up through the corner, and make sure you keep away from the grass. Just persist with this one, a pretty tricky corner, however I personally believe that this corner is the easiest to take with this Ferrari, in comparison to the Mitsubishi and Mini. I find that you are able to use the throttle far more effectively in ensuring that you get the ideal entree and exit to this, and the impending corner.

I actually think this is the hardest part to get right in the Cali - much more so than in the other cars. I have to turn in a lot earlier and hold a tighter line. I actually prefer touching the grass to going a foot wide, or I often end up with massive understeer.

I also have to hug the inside of the next left hander much tighter than I needed with the Mini or Evo, the Ferrari's suspension doesn't seem to hang on as well without the help of road camber.

Might be a wheel-only issue but I found it easiest to hug the apexes much closer and keep the exits straighter in this car.

RSI TomCluski
11-10-2009, 03:20 PM
I also have to hug the inside of the next left hander much tighter than I needed with the Mini or Evo, the Ferrari's suspension doesn't seem to hang on as well without the help of road camber.

Might be a wheel-only issue but I found it easiest to hug the apexes much closer and keep the exits straighter in this car.

Where you like to hug the inside, I prefer to shoot out wide left, then move back in, allowing me to stay on the far right for the banked left hander.

TfR J0ssu
11-10-2009, 04:42 PM
well I got a second of my time, I still need some work....