Go Back   FMUK > General > PC & Console Gaming > Xbox ONE

Register Now for FREE!
Our records show you have not yet registered. To sign up and get instant access to all our features, simply fill out the form below.

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
  I agree to forum rules 

Old 08-01-2012, 03:26 PM   #61
4zUK Flynn67
Legend in his own mind.

Gamertag
Flynn67
Rep
vCash
Awards
Photocomp Winner 
You'd think not having the cost of putting the game on a disc+box+shipping+shop profit etc would bring game prices down. From what little I've read MS aren't going for Blu-Ray(don't quote me on that one) but they also can't consider download only, they'd just lose far too many sales. 2nd hand game sales would fall obviously meaning less bargains to be had but, if bought through Live, no disc to damage and it's yours forever. But then again I don't really play older games. Oh my God What am I going to do???

h00nta's gallery @renderosity
FMUK logo banner thingy.
Old 11-01-2012, 02:09 AM   #62
TfR smokinmasta
Head Admin

Gamertag
TfR smokinmasta
PSN Tag
Smokinmasta
Rep
vCash
Awards
Member of the Month Best Paintjob Award 
YouTube Profile
Oh dear M$ massive fail......................here
Old 11-01-2012, 09:37 AM   #63
Tricky
Just Tricky

Gamertag
PzR Tricky
PSN Tag
Tricky4
Rep
vCash
Awards
Member of the Month Best Driver Award 
YouTube Profile
I'm not sure why it's a fail, it's not even a big surprise. Hopefully we'll get both Xbox and PS4 news at E3 to wet our appetites.
Old 11-01-2012, 10:47 AM   #64
Slim
Race team Owner

Gamertag
PzR Slim
Rep
vCash
I don't see how it's a fail either to be honest.
Old 11-01-2012, 10:59 AM   #65
TfR smokinmasta
Head Admin

Gamertag
TfR smokinmasta
PSN Tag
Smokinmasta
Rep
vCash
Awards
Member of the Month Best Paintjob Award 
YouTube Profile
Agreed - just 'paraphrasing' the article as such.................
Old 11-01-2012, 11:10 AM   #66
Tricky
Just Tricky

Gamertag
PzR Tricky
PSN Tag
Tricky4
Rep
vCash
Awards
YouTube Profile
Seems to be new rumours of a tablet controller for the new Xbox - much like the announced Wii U one.

Next Xbox tablet-based - What's going to happen in 2012? on GameSpot

..also, some doubt we'll see the new Xbox at E3. He's reasons quite plausible, and I'm not sure if I can see them having anything actually running for E3 anyway. Basic paper launch at most? with a few teasers of course
gamrConnect Forums - Prediction: PS4,Xbox 720 won't be at E3 2012
Last edited by Tricky; 11-01-2012 at 11:18 AM.
Old 11-01-2012, 11:05 PM   #67
Slim
Race team Owner

Gamertag
PzR Slim
Rep
vCash
Sony say no announcement this year.

Quote:
"Sony said it does not plan on making an announcement about a new home console at this yearís E3 videogame trade show, deflating expectation that a successor to its PlayStation 3 will be on its way soon.

[...]

During a roundtable with reporters at the Consumer Electronics Show, a reporter asked a question to Hirai attributing comments to the head of its videogame division, Andrew House, that there would be no announcement about a PlayStation 4 at the show.

Hirai, who appointed House for the job, said they are not talking about a new home console now and that they donít plan to do so at E3.

"Andy (House) is absolutely right in that we are not making any announcements at E3," Hirai said. "Iíve always said a 10-year life cycle for PS3, and there is no reason to go away from that."

Old 25-01-2012, 09:10 AM   #68
Tricky
Just Tricky

Gamertag
PzR Tricky
PSN Tag
Tricky4
Rep
vCash
Awards
YouTube Profile
More juicy rumours, this time about the spec.
Quote:
IGN is reporting that the next Xbox will ship in autumn 2013, with a GPU based on AMD's 40nm Radeon 6000 architecture and allegedly offering performance akin to the Radeon HD 6670 from last year. "Sources close to the project" are offering a ballpark figure of a six times performance increase over the Xbox 360, or 20 percent more power than the Wii U, though this doesn't really tell us anything in real terms. All this should obviously be taken as rumor and speculation, but it's worth noting that IGN broke reasonably accurate information on the Wii U months before its official unveiling last year.

No details were given on a possible CPU the console would ship with, but if true, the report would mean that the next Xbox's theoretical power is unlikely to outstrip the gaming PCs of today. Of course, in practice the fixed and dedicated nature of console hardware means that developers are able to wring far more performance out of them than they would get from an identically kitted-out PC.

Next Xbox coming late 2013 with Radeon 6000 GPU? | The Verge
Xbox 720 Will Be Six Times as Powerful as Current Gen - IGN

Seems plausible, although an AMD 6000 series will be pretty old by 2013. As the quote above says though, consoles will wring out more performance from the GPU than PC's do and the newer the GPU the more challenging it will be to package/cool and make reliable.
Old 25-01-2012, 10:22 AM   #69
scuppy182
Race Driver

Rep
vCash
well, the 6000 series is already old, the 7970 is out and the 7950 is coming very soon *fingers crossed for a cheapish price*
Old 25-01-2012, 10:38 AM   #70
Tricky
Just Tricky

Gamertag
PzR Tricky
PSN Tag
Tricky4
Rep
vCash
Awards
YouTube Profile
Originally Posted by scuppy182 View Post
well, the 6000 series is already old, the 7970 is out and the 7950 is coming very soon *fingers crossed for a cheapish price*

You say that but some 7000 series cards are only rebadged 6000 series anyway. Still, it's not exactly as cutting edge as some would have hoped.

I guess if we don't get bogged down in the detail it's still a big jump from the Xbox 360 which if you weren't doing a side-by-side PC comparison has reasonable graphics detail.

One thing I don't think was mentioned was any potential customisations from the PC GPU, such as the extra 'free' anti-aliasing logic on the Xbox 360 GPU.
Last edited by Tricky; 25-01-2012 at 10:41 AM.
Old 25-01-2012, 10:43 AM   #71
TfR Mike
Race Driver

Rep
vCash
Awards
Best Driver Award 
At least the difference is that in a console you have a set hardware configuration to get your game working for and can squeeze as much as you can out of it.
Old 25-01-2012, 10:46 AM   #72
Slim
Race team Owner

Gamertag
PzR Slim
Rep
vCash
Interesting to see how old the 360 graphics card was when released. This does seem to be rather old for a console that is to be launched in 20 months time.
Old 25-01-2012, 11:11 AM   #73
TfR Mike
Race Driver

Rep
vCash
Awards
Best Driver Award 
You say that but there is the whole development cycle involved and people working on games for the consoles release would need stable hardware specs with which to work from. It is not quite as simple as ATI/Nvidia just rolling out a new card with a new architecture in relative low volume (10,000) via partners that users can swap in to their machine. They will have most likely chosen a derivative of the middle of the road chip from a graphics family as it will have the least amount of chips that fail the tests required of them. If they went for .. say.. the 6970 GPU i would assume they would have to pay significantly more. Akin to AMD selling off phenom II x4's as x2's due to potentially faulty cores and to help meet demand in the mainstream. It is better to sell it in a form it definitely works than to just bin it.

I would be suprised if they didn't plan to have about a million consoles ready to go on release and it does take a while to build up that kind of stock
Last edited by TfR Mike; 25-01-2012 at 11:14 AM.
Old 25-01-2012, 11:14 AM   #74
scuppy182
Race Driver

Rep
vCash
the xbox360 when designed had a card that wasn't even out on the PC though and like tricky said ran differently with a dedicated bit for the Anti-Aliasing.

this one isn't even a new card so already based on old technology.
Old 25-01-2012, 11:17 AM   #75
TfR Mike
Race Driver

Rep
vCash
Awards
Best Driver Award 
I'm more suprised it isn't just running a derivative of the llano to save on costs....
Old 25-01-2012, 11:31 AM   #76
Slim
Race team Owner

Gamertag
PzR Slim
Rep
vCash
Originally Posted by scuppy182 View Post
the xbox360 when designed had a card that wasn't even out on the PC though and like tricky said ran differently with a dedicated bit for the Anti-Aliasing.

this one isn't even a new card so already based on old technology.

Thanks for that Scuppy
Old 25-01-2012, 11:55 AM   #77
Tricky
Just Tricky

Gamertag
PzR Tricky
PSN Tag
Tricky4
Rep
vCash
Awards
YouTube Profile
Originally Posted by TfR Mike View Post
I'm more suprised it isn't just running a derivative of the llano to save on costs....

One reason might be they need to go PowerPC-based CPU for backwards compatibility, if they can't manage other options like emulation.
Old 16-03-2012, 01:21 PM   #78
Tricky
Just Tricky

Gamertag
PzR Tricky
PSN Tag
Tricky4
Rep
vCash
Awards
YouTube Profile
Looks like our hopes for E3 news are dashed.
No 'new Xbox' talk at E3, Microsoft says | Joystiq
Old 16-06-2012, 04:46 PM   #79
Tricky
Just Tricky

Gamertag
PzR Tricky
PSN Tag
Tricky4
Rep
vCash
Awards
YouTube Profile
Bit of an insight into Microsoft Xbox 720 planning from a leaked 2 year old document.
Microsofts old Xbox 720 roadmap leaks - Neowin

Quote:
In the document Microsoft is calling the next Xbox the "Xbox 720" and they appear to be aiming for a console that is at least six times as powerful as the current Xbox 360. The console described here will possibly have a Blu-ray optical disc drive and will be capable of delivering "true 1080p and full 3D" while launching sometime in 2013. Microsoft is aiming for a system that will launch for $299 plus a "Kinect V2" sensor, while selling more than 100 million units over a 10 year lifecycle.

The aforementioned Kinect V2 sensor will improve (or at least they were aiming to improve) on the original by providing a better 3D play space (closer, wider and deeper), better voice recognition, better HD RGB cameras, dedicated hardware processing and support for concurrent tracking of four players.

Meanwhile in the holiday of 2012 Microsoft was looking to unleash "XTV" (aka. Xbox TV) which is a combination of "linear TV, TV apps [and] DVR" alongside internet-provided services such as Netflix. This service would be launching on the Xbox 360 first later this year before a full roll-out with the Xbox 720 in 2013; it will also work on phones and PCs.

Later in 2014, Microsoft is hoping to launch "Fortaleza", which will essentially be Kinect 3D glasses that provide a "breakthrough heads-up and hands-free" gaming experience. This will provide "seamless integration of the digital world within the physical world". Later on Microsoft hopes to bring seamless Xbox gaming anywhere on any device through the use of the cloud.

Old 16-06-2012, 05:17 PM   #80
Bailey
Race Driver

Gamertag
TfR Bailey
Rep
vCash
Awards
Photocomp Winner Photocomp Winner 
Twitter Profile
Quote:
Later in 2014, Microsoft is hoping to launch "Fortaleza", which will essentially be Kinect 3D glasses that provide a "breakthrough heads-up and hands-free" gaming experience. This will provide "seamless integration of the digital world within the physical world". Later on Microsoft hopes to bring seamless Xbox gaming anywhere on any device through the use of the cloud.

I like the sound of this, imagine if they bring out a new ace combat along side it
Old 25-06-2012, 03:30 AM   #81
Tommo
Race Driver

Gamertag
FTW Tommo
Rep
vCash
Xbox 720

Quote:
RUMOUR: Xbox 720 Roadmap Leaked, $299 Price Point, Blu-Ray, Kinect 2.0

Author:Matt GardnerCategory:NewsTags:Augmented Reality, Blu-ray, Cloud gaming, Kinect V2, Microsoft, Next-gen, Nextbox, Pinch of salt, Rumour, SmartGlass, Transmedia, Xbox, Xbox 720

Stop me if you've heard this one before.A 56-page document was dumped on Scribd over the weekend (and then hastily removed by lawyers) announcing that the Xbox 720/Nextbox/MS' Box Of Tricks will have a Blu-ray drive, Kinect V2, and augmented reality glasses.

Oh, and apparently it will cost less than $300/£200.

The report suggests that the Xbox 360's successor will launch in 2013 at $299 (£191), packing a built-in Blu-ray drive, and an integrated and upgraded Kinect 2.0 camera that will support 4-player tracking, allow for more accurate and improved voice recognition, and feature a significantly tweaked HDRGB camera. According to the report, the machine will be followed up with augmented reality glasses technology, codenamed named Fortaleza, around a year after launch.

To be honest, we've heard most of this stuff before in the various corners of the internet, all except for that laughably low price point.

But there's more. Consisting of multiple CPUs and GPUs, the Nextbox will apparently offer an estimated 4-6x increase in graphical performance, and allow you to record TV whilst playing games. Furthermore, the report talks about "synchronised rich client experiences", which sounds an awful lot like SmartGlass to us.

The report outlines a console that puts great emphasis on the desire to be "the ONLY box you need for premium living room entertainment". Multiple simultaneous media activities, an always-on green system, transmedia opportunities, adaptive Kinect, and connected devices. Cloud processing is mentioned, but more in speculative future terms, for "layering" into the service following 2013. Indeed, there's an entire chapter of slides dedicated to cloud services, tentatively dated from 2015, and going big on synchronised services across devices that don't need upgrading.

Of course, this is entirely what we want to hear and therefore it's highly suspect indeed, and the fact that the international lawyers who took the original report down have Microsoft on their books really means nothing. Yes, it could infer authenticity, but it's just as likely that MS might not want a rogue document of any nature circulating in what is likely to be a busy next twelve months.

It's an incredibly detailed document to fake (although there are people with that amount of time on their hands out there), but equally it's a document that almost contains too much info to leak. If we take it to be authentic (and it should be noted that Microsoft themselves have never used the term "Xbox 720"), then there's already clear evidence of MS moving pieces into position, and SmartGlass at least makes slightly more sense than it did at E3, even if its gaming applications could still use some hyping.

Most curious, though, is the price. It looks far too low to be anything but laughable - the optimistic detail that might cause some to cry wolf. But looking at the fates of the Vita and the 3DS, it should not be surprising that a platform holder would look to risk losing money at the start of a console cycle in order to facilitate a wider install base. Microsoft lost money on both the Xbox and the 360 initially, but it gave them a huge headstart. Hopefully whatever they come up with this time won't overheat so horrifically easily, though. With cloud gaming on the horizon, too, there has to be a consideration that the masses really won't take towards a high cost console at all, when in half a generation's time hardware could count for very little indeed.

Is it authentic? Who knows. Is it interesting? Oh, very.

Source: RUMOUR: Xbox 720 Roadmap Leaked, $299 Price Point, Blu-Ray, Kinect 2.0 | Video Game Deals UK News | Dealspwn.com

The Document: http://www.dealspwn.com/writer/wordp...720-Scribd.pdf

Thoughts?

Old 16-11-2012, 02:21 PM   #82
Senna s1979
Race team Owner

Rep
vCash
Seems Xbox World thinks this the new Xbox based on leaked info. So bit of a guess, but i like it.

Xbox News: Xbox 720: XBW uses penultimate issue to 'tell you everything we know' - CVG UK

Although they might want to be careful of Apple here. Rectangle with rounded corners

Click the image to open in full size.
free photo hosting
Last edited by Senna s1979; 16-11-2012 at 02:23 PM.
Old 16-11-2012, 02:26 PM   #83
[HLR] totlxtc
Race Driver

Gamertag
Totlxtc
Rep
vCash
Awards
Photocomp Winner Photocomp Winner Member of the Month 
Send a message via MSN to totlxtc
Originally Posted by Senna s1979 View Post
Seems Xbox World thinks this the new Xbox based on leaked info. So bit of a guess, but i like it.

Xbox News: Xbox 720: XBW uses penultimate issue to 'tell you everything we know' - CVG UK

Although they might want to be careful of Apple here. Rectangle with rounded corners

free photo hosting

Your right! Looks like a dressed up Mac Mini!!

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose." - Ayrton Senna
"Sex...the breakfast of champions" - James Hunt
Old 16-11-2012, 02:51 PM   #84
TfR Magic
Race Driver

Gamertag
TfR Magic
PSN Tag
TG-MagicBoy
Rep
vCash
Awards
Best Paintjob Award 
YouTube Profile
Bit bigger than a Mac Mini though, look at the size of the optical drive slot! It's like 4 Mac Mini's piled up.
Old 16-11-2012, 02:53 PM   #85
[HLR] totlxtc
Race Driver

Gamertag
Totlxtc
Rep
vCash
Awards
Photocomp Winner Photocomp Winner Member of the Month 
Send a message via MSN to totlxtc
Originally Posted by Magic View Post
Bit bigger than a Mac Mini though, look at the size of the optical drive slot! It's like 4 Mac Mini's piled up.

I hope that slot is a design feature and not one of those feed in disk drives! Bloody things are god awful and scratch discs to HELL! The one thing that even IMac owners moan about.

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose." - Ayrton Senna
"Sex...the breakfast of champions" - James Hunt
Old 16-11-2012, 02:55 PM   #86
TfR Milton
Race Driver

Gamertag
TfR Milton
Rep
vCash
Awards
Photocomp Winner Best Rookie Award 
YouTube Profile
That slot looks tiny , if u zoom in you can see a eject button and also a Microsoft tag

Sent from my mobile telcommunication device
Old 16-11-2012, 03:07 PM   #87
TfR Magic
Race Driver

Gamertag
TfR Magic
PSN Tag
TG-MagicBoy
Rep
vCash
Awards
Best Paintjob Award 
YouTube Profile
Keep in mind that it's only a magazine suggestion of what it might look like. Article indicates it'll have a BluRay drive so I'm staking £5 on it being a slot-load drive in this case.

Know what you mean about the scratching - had a slot-load multichanger in a PC years ago. Slight misfeed and it made a lovely swirly patterns on the data side.
Old 16-11-2012, 04:47 PM   #88
LeeTBTS
Test Driver

Gamertag
LeeTBTS
Rep
vCash
Awards
Determination Award Photocomp Winner 
Twitter Profile
Originally Posted by totlxtc View Post
I hope that slot is a design feature and not one of those feed in disk drives! Bloody things are god awful and scratch discs to HELL! The one thing that even IMac owners moan about.

that's weird, i've never heard that complaint before (i'm a technician for apple)

it does look like a big apple tv though, my suspicions are that it's too polished to be leak, and the next gen consoles are unlikely to have any media slots, it's almost certain they will be download only.
Old 16-11-2012, 05:27 PM   #89
hOnG k0nG fu3y
Race Driver

Gamertag
hOnG k0nG fU3y
Rep
vCash
Download only might work in the developed world but not in Blighty. It would take days for those on poor conections to download a game. It will probably be optional
Old 17-11-2012, 03:58 AM   #90
Screaming
Test Driver

Rep
vCash
Originally Posted by LeeTBTS View Post
that's weird, i've never heard that complaint before (i'm a technician for apple)

it does look like a big apple tv though, my suspicions are that it's too polished to be leak, and the next gen consoles are unlikely to have any media slots, it's almost certain they will be download only.

I'd imagine it would need a disc drive to play DVD's/BluRay's can't see them alienating people when they want to be the centre of the living room.

Tags
720, big, correct, facebook, film, fmuk, focus, forza, forza 4, free, games, gossip, happy, history, live, microsoft, news, online, page, patch, plays, points, post, practice, ps3, psn, running, sony, tapatalk, upcoming, video, xbox