Go Back   FMUK > Project Cars > Tunes

Register Now for FREE!
Our records show you have not yet registered. To sign up and get instant access to all our features, simply fill out the form below.

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
  I agree to forum rules 

User Tag List

Old 28-05-2015, 08:20 PM   #1
Lee22
Race Driver

Rep
vCash
Telemetry

Has anyone else experimented with tyre temperatures?

I've been tuning a Merc CLK DTM for Donnington and have been playing with tyre pressures , camber , spring rates etc .. Going polar extreme sometimes and it seems to me that the tyre telemetry is useless. I cant get it to read what it should be .. I can barely get it to change at all .

Anyone else experiencing this? I have only tried the one car .
Old 28-05-2015, 08:59 PM   #2
HLR Dark Moon
Manuel Almoonio

Gamertag
HLR Dark Moon
Rep
vCash
Awards
Photocomp Winner 
Twitter Profile YouTube Profile
tyre and brake temps are the only things I have tuned so far and the weather conditions have a massive effect on temps.
Old 28-05-2015, 09:23 PM   #3
Lee22
Race Driver

Rep
vCash
I haven't tried different weather .. And the tyre temperatures do change dependant on how hard you push the car.

But I'm struggling to get anything to change through tuning . Even at extremes .
Old 28-05-2015, 09:51 PM   #4
Warrior
Race Driver

Gamertag
HLR Warrior
Rep
vCash
Cool

Lee the Tyre ( now Im going through a lot of Geoff Hammond Stuff) In normal settings I can get the tyres to go red At the front and Stay red after a lap and a half in standard frm . Thats push from the start but with judicious tuning of camber and castor I can get this out to 6 laps . Now what that tells me is if you conserve you will win like F1 but less extreme . I believe its the balance that will be key here

Andy
You will be greatly missed by Family and friends[/center]
Old 28-05-2015, 10:57 PM   #5
TfR Spiny Anteater
Race Team Manager

Gamertag
Spiny Anteater
Rep
vCash
Awards
Photocomp Winner Photocomp Winner 
Originally Posted by Lee22 View Post
I haven't tried different weather .. And the tyre temperatures do change dependant on how hard you push the car.

But I'm struggling to get anything to change through tuning . Even at extremes .

They also seem to be dependant on your pressures, much more so than in Forza. A couple of examples:

Caterham 7 Classic - Running at ~1.3bar, I just couldn't get heat in the tyres and struggled for grip. Dropping that down to ~1.2 bar meant the car had noticeably more grip on cold tyres, but also gained/retained heat much better.

Kart - Starting at 0.7 bar all round, I had to really push to keep the heat in the tyres on a long run, particularly the rears. After seeing what happened last night with the Caterham, I thought I'd try reducing the pressures to 0.6 bar all round. No more problems with keeping the heat in the tyres, but the front left in particular was getting into the red zone far too easily and losing grip. Eventually I ended up in between, but it further reinforced the message this game is giving me that you get more heat with low pressures, but don't overdo it.

It seems to me that the tyre physics are much more accurately modeled than Forza including in how long they take to warm up (assuming you're running real-time tyre wear). So, you probably need to do that 4-5 minutes driving to get up to temperature in PCars rather than FM5's one-lap wonder.

We all learn from our mistakes. I am very well educated...

RIP Stuart (Hoonta). Gone. Not Forgotten.
Old 28-05-2015, 11:14 PM   #6
Lee22
Race Driver

Rep
vCash
Interesting stuff!

Im also able to overheat the left side tires within a lap or two ! I'll Definately play with the pressures to see if I can delay this .. But I've had no luck myself so far .

Also if you over inflate a tyre .. The middle temperature should be higher than the two outside temps . I can't get this to happen . or the opposite with under inflation .

When you give a car a lot of negative camber .. The inside temp should be much hotter than the outside .. But again I cant get this to happen .

Now maybe the setting were given don't allow for extremes . but I really can't get these values to change much at all .
Last edited by Lee22; 28-05-2015 at 11:20 PM.

Tags
driving, fm5, forza, night, running, settings, spring, tuning, win