Go Back   FMUK > General > PC & Console Gaming

Register Now for FREE!
Our records show you have not yet registered. To sign up and get instant access to all our features, simply fill out the form below.

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
  I agree to forum rules 

Old 20-10-2013, 11:13 AM   #1
Stonedef
Race Team Manager

Gamertag
TfR StoneDef
Rep
vCash
Awards
Best Driver Award Photocomp Winner 
Twitter Profile
XBox Live points conversion

As you all know any Live points you had on your account got transferred into cash. But did you know there is an expiry date on that cash?? Even the Live points cards, when added to your account as cash have an expiry date of a year

I only found out as I'm having a tidy up of my account, so thought I'd post this here as a heads up to people

I'm just another monkey on the juice

Never too old to game
Old 20-10-2013, 11:38 AM   #2
TfR smokinmasta
Head Admin

Gamertag
TfR smokinmasta
PSN Tag
Smokinmasta
Rep
vCash
Awards
Member of the Month Best Paintjob Award 
YouTube Profile
Old 20-10-2013, 06:40 PM   #3
TfR Milton
Race Driver

Gamertag
TfR Milton
Rep
vCash
Awards
Photocomp Winner Best Rookie Award 
YouTube Profile
Wow seriously that sucks. Is that legal
Old 20-10-2013, 06:57 PM   #4
TfR Spiny Anteater
Race Team Manager

Gamertag
Spiny Anteater
Rep
vCash
Awards
Photocomp Winner Photocomp Winner 
I knew that there was an expiry date of 1st June 2015 on any points you had on your account when it converted to cash. To be fair, that one is in the blurb from MS about the conversion.

The bit about points bought after being expired after a year though is a different story. Strictly speaking, if you weren't advised of this at the point of sale (since points WERE non-expiring), you are perfectly entitled to a refund. Trouble is, what if, like me you've redeemed them - obviously I'd need to ask Amazon in the first place, but having redeemed them I could be considered to have used them. So would I then need to look to Microsoft to refund the money?

Then again, I suppose it would mean I'm likely to have some DLC next time around

We all learn from our mistakes. I am very well educated...

RIP Stuart (Hoonta). Gone. Not Forgotten.
Old 20-10-2013, 07:04 PM   #5
Stonedef
Race Team Manager

Gamertag
TfR StoneDef
Rep
vCash
Awards
Best Driver Award Photocomp Winner 
Twitter Profile
According to my account the points that were converted to cash will expire 16-07-2014 and the 800 points I put on no more then a fortnight ago, expire 02-10-2014. Its all been classed as a Promotional Balance with is subject to an expiry date

I'm just another monkey on the juice

Never too old to game
Old 20-10-2013, 07:15 PM   #6
TfR Spiny Anteater
Race Team Manager

Gamertag
Spiny Anteater
Rep
vCash
Awards
Photocomp Winner Photocomp Winner 
Hmm, that doesn't tally with what it says on xbox.com.

Quote:
How does this change affect me?

You’ll use local currency or an Xbox gift card (denominated in your local currency), in addition to other current payment methods available in your region, to purchase your favorite content on your Xbox 360. The next time you initiate a purchase or redeem a Microsoft Points card or code on your console with your Microsoft account, we’ll add to your account an amount of currency equal to or greater than the Xbox stores value of your Microsoft Points, and your Microsoft Points will be retired (Xbox stores include the Xbox Games Store, Xbox Video Store, and Xbox Music Store). The currency we add to your account at the time of the transition will expire on June 1, 2015. However, the currency you purchase and add to your account after the transition will not expire.

What if I still have codes and/or Microsoft Points cards that I haven’t yet redeemed?

Go ahead and redeem them! Even after your account transitions, we’ll still accept purchased Microsoft Points cards and codes until further notice, and we’ll add to your account an amount of local currency equal to or greater than the Xbox stores value of those Microsoft Points. When you next redeem a Microsoft Points card or code, those Microsoft Points will be retired, and your account will begin using your local currency instead. Microsoft Points cards and codes that you have purchased and choose to redeem after your account has transitioned will expire one year from the date the Microsoft Points are redeemed.

If some or all of the currency in my Microsoft account has expiration dates, how can I make sure I use the earliest expiring currency first?

If you choose to use the currency in your Microsoft account for a purchase, we will automatically use the earliest expiring currency first.

I've redded the relevant bits, and can't see how they can cancel points earlier than the dates they've advertised. If they're going to claim the currency from points conversion is a promotional balance, then the only way that is going to work from a consumer rights (not to mention PR) point of view, is if they had given a refund of the value of points cancelled. Personally, I suspect when there's an outcry of people complaining that their points are about to vanish, there will be a bit of a backtrack and those points won't be cancelled.

We all learn from our mistakes. I am very well educated...

RIP Stuart (Hoonta). Gone. Not Forgotten.

Tags
dlc, games, live, microsoft, music, night, points, post, video, xbox