Go Back   FMUK > General > Discussion

Register Now for FREE!
Our records show you have not yet registered. To sign up and get instant access to all our features, simply fill out the form below.

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
  I agree to forum rules 

View Poll Results: Which is the best
Xbox 360 20 100.00%
PS3 0 0%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-09-2008, 03:17 PM   #1
Molio
Face down in the mud, With one eye on the enemy

Gamertag
Molio l 67 l
Rep
vCash
Awards
Member of the Month 
Xbox 360 or PS3?

I really only play Forza and COD on the 360 and ive been thinking of buying a PS3. What good games are there for the PS3 etc.

For the people who have both, which is the best (Forza aside)

IF YOU WANT PEACE, YOU WONT GET IT WITH VIOLENCE - JOHN LENNON
Old 08-09-2008, 03:54 PM   #2
Tricky
Just Tricky

Gamertag
PzR Tricky
PSN Tag
Tricky4
Rep
vCash
Awards
Member of the Month Best Driver Award 
YouTube Profile
Both consoles have their ups and down and you'll just open a can of worms with polls as vague as that Especially on a Xbox biased forum.

Basically to generalise a little, most games look the same or marginly better on the 360 than the PS3. That margin is often too small to even talk about. Other factors like the controller are personal preferance. The PS3 is significantly quieter but you'll really miss xbox live on the PS3 - PSN just doesn't come close.

Games wise there are some very good PS3-only titles but many top titles are multi-platform. From experience and comments from friends id say some must-buy (ps3 exclusive) titles would include; Metal Gear Solid 4, 1. Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction, Uncharted: Drake's Fortune and Motorstorm is fun for a while.
Old 08-09-2008, 03:57 PM   #3
Molio

Gamertag
Molio l 67 l
Rep
vCash
Awards
Member of the Month 
Originally Posted by Tricky View Post
Both consoles have their ups and down and you'll just open a can of worms with polls as vague as that Especially on a Xbox biased forum.

Basically to generalise a little, most games look the same or marginly better on the 360 than the PS3. That margin is often too small to even talk about. Other factors like the controller are personal preferance. The PS3 is significantly quieter but you'll really miss xbox live on the PS3 - PSN just doesn't come close.

Games wise there are some very good PS3-only titles but many top titles are multi-platform. From experience and comments from friends id say some must-buy (ps3 exclusive) titles would include; Metal Gear Solid 4, 1. Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction, Uncharted: Drake's Fortune and Motorstorm is fun for a while.

Whats PSN, I fancy that God of War 2. I had the first one on PS2 and was unbelievable game

Old 08-09-2008, 04:34 PM   #4
Tako

vCash
Like Tricky said, they both have their ups and downs.

PSN is the equivalent of Xbox Live, and is free to play online, though you do need to register a debit/credit card to be able to use it. It is nowhere near as good as it in terms of the multiplayer, no-one really talks, doesn't seem as populated as XBL either. In terms of the downloadable games (like xbox live arcade) a lot of the games are really innovative, moreso than usually on Xbox live, in my opinion. Cheaper too, actually.

Personally, I like the current layout of the PS3 dashboard better, but within the next couple of months, the Xbox is getting a significant revision, including 8 person party chat (8 people can talk to each other, whether they are in the same game or not) The PS3 is quieter, if that floats your boat, and is wireless out of the box.

In terms of retail games, I'm really only interested in exclusive titles to the PS3, though they are really quite thin on the ground. The main reason I have it, is for Gran Turismo, but the full game is apparently not coming out for another 2 years, which is a bit of a disappointment. The one PS3 game (yes, only one) I'm looking forward to that is coming out this winter is Little Big Planet, which is another quite innovative game, looks like a platformer, but the main aim of it is "Play, Create, Share", basically that will use PSN to share level that you create, and it seems that you might be able to create some quite complex machines/levels.

In terms of games that are out at the mo, I would recommend Uncharted: Drakes Fortune, Motorstorm (awesome random racing game), If you can get Gt Prologue Pre-owned for about 12 or 13 quid, I'd get it just to see what the PS3 can do. graphically, but don't expect the greatest racing game ever (Forza has that title) F1:CE is actually quite good, but it is quite hardcore (remarkably) Haven't played MGS4, but never liked the series, and actually like to play the games i but, not just watch them.

Old 08-09-2008, 04:37 PM   #5
Molio

Gamertag
Molio l 67 l
Rep
vCash
Awards
Member of the Month 
Originally Posted by PzR Tak View Post
Like Tricky said, they both have their ups and downs.

PSN is the equivalent of Xbox Live, and is free to play online, though you do need to register a debit/credit card to be able to use it. It is nowhere near as good as it in terms of the multiplayer, no-one really talks, doesn't seem as populated as XBL either. In terms of the downloadable games (like xbox live arcade) a lot of the games are really innovative, moreso than usually on Xbox live, in my opinion. Cheaper too, actually.

Personally, I like the current layout of the PS3 dashboard better, but within the next couple of months, the Xbox is getting a significant revision, including 8 person party chat (8 people can talk to each other, whether they are in the same game or not) The PS3 is quieter, if that floats your boat, and is wireless out of the box.

In terms of retail games, I'm really only interested in exclusive titles to the PS3, though they are really quite thin on the ground. The main reason I have it, is for Gran Turismo, but the full game is apparently not coming out for another 2 years, which is a bit of a disappointment. The one PS3 game (yes, only one) I'm looking forward to that is coming out this winter is Little Big Planet, which is another quite innovative game, looks like a platformer, but the main aim of it is "Play, Create, Share", basically that will use PSN to share level that you create, and it seems that you might be able to create some quite complex machines/levels.

In terms of games that are out at the mo, I would recommend Uncharted: Drakes Fortune, Motorstorm (awesome random racing game), If you can get Gt Prologue Pre-owned for about 12 or 13 quid, I'd get it just to see what the PS3 can do. graphically, but don't expect the greatest racing game ever (Forza has that title) F1:CE is actually quite good, but it is quite hardcore (remarkably) Haven't played MGS4, but never liked the series, and actually like to play the games i but, not just watch them.

Im the same m8, i loved God of War though

Old 08-09-2008, 04:42 PM   #6
WiggyDiggyPoo

Gamertag
wiggydiggypoo
Rep
vCash
Awards
Best Driver Award 
There arn't really enough platform specific titles on the PS to justify buying it. Yes GT is on the way but for how long ?

I'd save the cash for the more inevitiable price cuts nearer the time of GT's launch.

PSN is the Playstation Network. It may be free but having seen it in action I know now why its free....

BUT

There is one redeeming feature of the PS3 in that as a media hub it vastly surpasses the 360. You do not need to have running MS Media Centre on a PC the way the 360 does, and it will pick up any shared computers or folders you have on your network.

It will play pretty much any file format, and as a DvD player will upscale to 1080p. Not sure if it will upscale stuff like AVI/DivX but I'd presume so.

BUT (again!)

Its a bit expensive just as an upscaling media hub....
Old 08-09-2008, 04:44 PM   #7
Tako

vCash
If you are getting a game for the multiplayer, and it is multiformat, I would always get the 360 version. a) I know people on here/XBL may get it, and b) i don't know anyone apart from people on here on PSN (no-one talks, so you never get to know anyone)

Old 08-09-2008, 04:52 PM   #8
WiggyDiggyPoo

Gamertag
wiggydiggypoo
Rep
vCash
Awards
Best Driver Award 
I wasn't goint to vote as I dont think either is 'better' than the other, in fact in terms of either

360 : Has the games/multiplayer but is noisy, unreliable and poor media hub
PS3 : Has the extras with a slick design, excellent networkability and nice ideas but not the games/multiplayer

Its a bit of a compromise whichever way you go, but the 360 edges it as at the end of the day I want a games console, not another dvd player lol !
Old 08-09-2008, 04:52 PM   #9
Molio

Gamertag
Molio l 67 l
Rep
vCash
Awards
Member of the Month 
cheers for the help guys. If i was buying it it would be for exclusive games anyway. I fancy God of War 2 and maybe a few others. I like the look of Motorstorm but if noone plays or speaks online then it would be ****

Old 08-09-2008, 05:58 PM   #10
TG Axiom
Team GIZMO

Gamertag
TG Axiom
PSN Tag
JoeperkinS
Rep
vCash
Awards
Best Driver Award 
its all about metal gear solid =) !!! and also a ps3 has a blu ray played (is cheaper to buy a PS3 than it is a blu ray player!!!) have both?! why not =P
Old 10-09-2008, 04:00 PM   #11
FTW Jigsaw
Spectator

Rep
vCash
My trouble with the PS3 is not the machine or the online. Its sony, and waiting for everything. Two years for GT5?? Really? This is just my opinion but by the time sony actually gets it ALL together, there will probably be a new xbox. I would love to play GT5, but I won't buy a slightly oversized demo.
Old 10-09-2008, 04:03 PM   #12
FTW sappy84
Tyre Carrier

Gamertag
FTW sappy84
Rep
vCash
360 all the way i had my ps3 for just over a month before it broke however mgs4 pwns on it

360 i've had since launch
Old 10-09-2008, 09:40 PM   #13
HLR Joker
Professional Amateur

Gamertag
HLR Joker
Rep
vCash
Awards
Photocomp Winner 
Twitter Profile
Send a message via Skype™ to Joker
Originally Posted by WiggyDiggyPoo View Post

BUT

There is one redeeming feature of the PS3 in that as a media hub it vastly surpasses the 360. You do not need to have running MS Media Centre on a PC the way the 360 does, and it will pick up any shared computers or folders you have on your network.

It will play pretty much any file format, and as a DvD player will upscale to 1080p. Not sure if it will upscale stuff like AVI/DivX but I'd presume so.

BUT (again!)

Its a bit expensive just as an upscaling media hub....

I don't use media centre to stream to my 360's or xbox, just using windows media player 11 and I can stream from anyone of our three computers, the only big problem I have found is that to play avi/xvid/divx I usually have to change screen resolutions down to 640x480, I'm using the vga cable at a resolution of 1366x768 for gaming/dashboard. Some films do upscale though to 720p but not many. The process of streaming to 360 from wmp11 can be awkward though (will post my tutorial that I posted on other forums if people need me to).
Voted 360 BTW strictly for games, the PS3 is a great media machine in its own right but the games are all mostly multiplatform and that isnt enough IMO.

Tags
big, forza, games, king, online, ps3, running, sony