Go Back   FMUK > Forza Motorsport 4 > General Forza 4 Discussion

Register Now for FREE!
Our records show you have not yet registered. To sign up and get instant access to all our features, simply fill out the form below.

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
  I agree to forum rules 

Notices

Old 07-06-2011, 11:40 PM   #1
PzR Crazy
Race Driver

Gamertag
PzR Crazy
PSN Tag
PzR_Crazy
Rep
vCash
New Madcatz FFB Wireless Wheel..

Probably mentioned in another thread, but deserves its own..

And as if by magic..

Officially licensed Wireless Force Feedback Wheel for Xbox 360®

Quote:
Licensed Xbox 360® Racing Wheel
Features powerful Force Feedback and Dual Vibration Motors
Being launched under the companies Mad Catz® casual gaming brand
Metal chassis provides durability and realistic appearance
Newly designed stick shift allows for left or right handed play
PC connection allows for future Firmware updates
Complete with pedal set, lap mount and desk clamp

Click the image to open in full size.

Metal Chassis probably elevates it above the old MS Wheel..

I know the obvious thought is 'Lack of clutch pedal'.. However, I never use mine on the Fanatec Wheel, it's far slower then pressing the button.. The only time I use it is for tooling around, it's got no 'feel' when it bites, so is quite awkward to use in a rush..
Old 10-06-2011, 04:15 PM   #2
Slim
Race team Owner

Gamertag
PzR Slim
Rep
vCash
Good news! The madcatz wheel is apparently a saitek made product and just rebranded as madcatz. Saitek are known for making good quality peripherals.

Comments

Thanks for the update as usual. You are the wheelmeister lol.
Old 10-06-2011, 04:54 PM   #3
Anx
Race Team Manager

Gamertag
PTG Anxious
Rep
vCash
Awards
Member of the Month Photocomp Winner 
Originally Posted by Slim View Post
Good news! The madcatz wheel is apparently a saitek made product and just rebranded as madcatz. Saitek are known for making good quality peripherals.

Nice! I'd read in the .net thread that someone thought it was very similar to a Saitek wheel. Things, at the moment, are looking good for this wheel.

R.I.P H00nta
Pendulum Tuning Group
Forzatographer and occasional tuner (very occasional )
Old 10-06-2011, 08:28 PM   #4
Senna s1979
Race team Owner

Rep
vCash
£199.99 RRP.

Would rather save towards a Fanatec with that.
If that had been sub £100 they would have made a killing. Not now.

Comments

Yep indeedy
Old 10-06-2011, 08:41 PM   #5
Slim
Race team Owner

Gamertag
PzR Slim
Rep
vCash
Originally Posted by Senna s1979 View Post
£199.99 RRP.

I knew it would be that price
Old 10-06-2011, 09:34 PM   #6
Anx
Race Team Manager

Gamertag
PTG Anxious
Rep
vCash
Awards
£199.99 RRP.

Hmmm, so the good news is followed by bad. Not sure what to think now, do i fork out for this, save for the Fanatec, or just carry on with the pad (which incidentally hasn't really done me that much harm)?

R.I.P H00nta
Pendulum Tuning Group
Old 10-06-2011, 09:47 PM   #7
Stonedef
Race Team Manager

Gamertag
TfR StoneDef
Rep
vCash
Awards
Best Driver Award Photocomp Winner 
Twitter Profile
Stick with the pad.

I've toyed with the idea of getting a wheel but can't justify the price, though if an MS wheel came along for about £40 i'd give it a go

I'm just another monkey on the juice

Never too old to game
Old 10-06-2011, 11:47 PM   #8
Senna s1979
Race team Owner

Rep
vCash
The thing is F1 2010 was orgasmic with the wheel - with the pad it is almost uncontrollable.
While Forza does a very good job it's still a whole new ball game with the wheel.
People are (literally) crying out for a decent, affordable (sub £100) ffb wheel for the 360.
It doesnt have to be a T500, have a clutch pedal and smell like the inside of Schumachers helmet (ahem) as long as it's got good ffb, pedals with more than 2cm worth of travel and wont fall apart people will buy it.
Yet time and time again companies either hit us with ffb-less cheap tat or they are priced well out of most peoples budgets who want one, but wont pay over £100 for the privilege.
Hasn't someone spotted a gap in the market here? It drives me mental.
Old 11-06-2011, 08:54 AM   #9
Anx
Race Team Manager

Gamertag
PTG Anxious
Rep
vCash
Awards
To be fair i don't mind paying around £150, and possibly up to £200 (at a push). But when a company like Fanatec has been begged by people for a cheaper option, remember the GT2 is the cheapest they do at 250 euros (wheel only!!!!!),and then brings out a new wheel which is even more expensive, thats why people get so annoyed.

I don't think there will ever be a sub £100 ffb wheel, the MS wireless wheel was a one off by the look of it, but i do think they could certainly make them for less than they are currently doing and bring the price down to £150.

R.I.P H00nta
Pendulum Tuning Group
Old 11-06-2011, 10:14 AM   #10
Slim
Race team Owner

Gamertag
PzR Slim
Rep
vCash
Fanatec are a small company who have experienced problems with manufacture and supply of their products. They just aren't in a position to produce a mass market product. That's why they choose to stick to the higher end of the market. Produce less but charge more for higher quality products giving them the same return. It's got to be a larger more experienced peripheral maker who steps unto the plate.

Buying this at 200 quid just seems daft to me. Waiting a little longer and saving to buy a fanatec seems much more sensible. Especially when you consider a fanatec is compatible with 360, PS3 and PC. They are also packed with more features and upgradeable in the future with better pedals, shifters and a handbrake.
Old 11-06-2011, 11:05 AM   #11
Senna s1979
Race team Owner

Rep
vCash
Fanatec made the Carrera wheel a while back - a gear driven PC/PS3 wheel that was made of cheap plastic and cost 159Euro.
It had the pedals and shifter as well.
If they done another one of them (in big enough volumes) for the 360 we'd be laughing.

And if Fanatec can do (did) a wheel like that, at that price why cant cheap and not-very-chearful Mad Catzzzzz?
Looks to me like they see the GT2 price and think "we'll have some of that very expensive pie".
But you can guarantee theirs wont be anywhere near the quality (and not PS3 and PC compatible too).

Logitech should get their finger out and do a(nother) 360 wheel.

Comments

Perfect example using the Carrera
Old 11-06-2011, 11:23 AM   #12
HLR Milo
Race Team Manager

Gamertag
HLR Milo
Rep
vCash
Awards
Photocomp Winner 
What happened to that device that allowed you to use logitec wheels on the 360? Is it still in development?

npower Championship: Huddersfield Town

National Football League: New England Patriots

National Basketball Association: Oklahoma City Thunder
Old 11-06-2011, 11:52 AM   #13
hOnG k0nG fu3y
Race Driver

Gamertag
hOnG k0nG fU3y
Rep
vCash
wasnt the first run of 360 fanatec wheels 150 quid? with each batch after that increasing in price. As a company you can charge top dollar when there is little/no competition. If there was half a dozen FFB wheels manufacturers the madcatz wheel would be considerably cheaper
Last edited by hOnG k0nG fu3y; 11-06-2011 at 02:34 PM.
Old 11-06-2011, 01:19 PM   #14
Anx
Race Team Manager

Gamertag
PTG Anxious
Rep
vCash
Awards
Fanatec made the Carrera wheel a while back - a gear driven PC/PS3 wheel that was made of cheap plastic and cost 159Euro.
It had the pedals and shifter as well.
If they done another one of them (in big enough volumes) for the 360 we'd be laughing.

And if Fanatec can do (did) a wheel like that, at that price why cant cheap and not-very-chearful Mad Catzzzzz?
Looks to me like they see the GT2 price and think "we'll have some of that very expensive pie".
But you can guarantee theirs wont be anywhere near the quality (and not PS3 and PC compatible too).

Logitech should get their finger out and do a(nother) 360 wheel.

You've really hit the nail on the head there Senna, i didn't realise the Carrera wheel was That cheap, AND with pedals!!!

Fanatec have no excuse really, even the GT3 RS wheel is 75 euros/£/dollars cheaper so why can't they do that for an Xbox wheel? I don't need a wheel that is compatible with all 3 platforms, i need an Xbox wheel! PS3 users have SO much choice compared to 360 users, it become a bit of a joke really.

I don't want a wheel for free, but i DO want a REASONABLY priced wheel.

R.I.P H00nta
Pendulum Tuning Group
Old 11-06-2011, 02:51 PM   #15
Senna s1979
Race team Owner

Rep
vCash
Originally Posted by TfR AnxiousMann View Post
You've really hit the nail on the head there Senna, i didn't realise the Carrera wheel was That cheap, AND with pedals!!!

Fanatec have no excuse really, even the GT3 RS wheel is 75 euros/£/dollars cheaper so why can't they do that for an Xbox wheel
? I don't need a wheel that is compatible with all 3 platforms, i need an Xbox wheel! PS3 users have SO much choice compared to 360 users, it become a bit of a joke really.

I don't want a wheel for free, but i DO want a REASONABLY priced wheel.

Don't quote me on this (and Slim will no doubt know) but i think MS charges for using their ffb code.
Its different from PC and PS3 (thats why Logitechs and any old wheel will always work with them, its a standard code) and that is why the MS compatible wheels tend to be at a premium - Some manufacturers simply wont be held by MS so if it works for PC it will usually work for PS3, and thats enough for most manufacturers. And rightly so.
MS made a total **** of it in order to make a pretty penny for us sim racers/wheel users.

Also i'm sure if you ask Slim,Crazy and VS they will say that for what you get the Fanatec wheels are value - but most people cant justify or wont pay that for what is basically a 'toy'.
Like i said there is a huge gap in the market left since the MS wheel stopped production, but it may be too late in the 360's life cycle for Logitech or Thrustmaster to take a punt at filling that gap.

Comments

Spot on
Old 11-06-2011, 03:33 PM   #16
Anx
Race Team Manager

Gamertag
PTG Anxious
Rep
vCash
Awards
I'm aware that MS charge for the relevant code to make them 360 compatible, but is it 75-150 euros worth of code? Thats my point. Yes the wheels will be more expensive, but why so much more expensive? The cheapest 360 Fanatec wheel with pedals is nigh on double the price of the cheapest PS3 Fanatec wheel with pedals.

R.I.P H00nta
Pendulum Tuning Group
Old 11-06-2011, 03:40 PM   #17
Slim
Race team Owner

Gamertag
PzR Slim
Rep
vCash
I'm aware that MS charge for the relevant code to make them 360 compatible, but is it 75-150 euros worth of code? Thats my point. Yes the wheels will be more expensive, but why so much more expensive? The cheapest 360 Fanatec wheel with pedals is nigh on double the price of the cheapest PS3 Fanatec wheel with pedals.

Here is a page comparing all the products.

http://www.fanatec.de/html/pw_overview.htm

As you can see the cheapest PS3 wheel is gear driven compared to belt driven on the rest.

Edit: in fact comparing the wheels the cheapest PS3 wheel lacks a lot of features.
Last edited by Slim; 11-06-2011 at 03:44 PM.
Old 11-06-2011, 03:47 PM   #18
Anx
Race Team Manager

Gamertag
PTG Anxious
Rep
vCash
Awards
Here is a page comparing all the products.

http://www.fanatec.de/html/pw_overview.htm

As you can see the cheapest PS3 wheel is gear driven compared to let driven on the rest.

So why not do that for the 360? I know that the belt driven wheels are better quality and that the material used in the GT2 is of a higher quality, but they are also hellishly more expensive. Its the fact there is no lower end product to match/come close to the Carrera wheel.

R.I.P H00nta
Pendulum Tuning Group
Old 11-06-2011, 03:52 PM   #19
Slim
Race team Owner

Gamertag
PzR Slim
Rep
vCash
So why not do that for the 360? I know that the belt driven wheels are better quality and that the material used in the GT2 is of a higher quality, but they are also hellishly more expensive. Its the fact there is no lower end product to match/come close to the Carrera wheel.

What you have to remember is that Fanatec are a business, they do what they feel is beneficial to them. That's not always going to be what consumers want. They don't owe us anything.
Old 11-06-2011, 04:01 PM   #20
Anx
Race Team Manager

Gamertag
PTG Anxious
Rep
vCash
Awards
What you have to remember is that Fanatec are a business, they do what they feel is beneficial to them. That's not always going to be what consumers want. They don't owe us anything.

I get that and i agree that they owe us nothing. But i don't think its particularly good business to shut off from a huge section of the market. With FM4 only a few months away and likely to bring in more and more new customers, which would sell more, a high end wheel for a minimum of price 350 euros or a low-mid level wheel for 150-200 euros? Remember, a high proportion of new FM4 buyers are likely to be kids, which one of my example prices are the parents more likely to pay for? And i would imagine its only the hardcore who already own a 360 compatible Fanatec and those with a lot of disposable income who are likely to buy the new wheel, many existing customers are likely to stick with the GT2 i imagine.

R.I.P H00nta
Pendulum Tuning Group
Old 11-06-2011, 04:08 PM   #21
Slim
Race team Owner

Gamertag
PzR Slim
Rep
vCash
I get that and i agree that they owe us nothing. But i don't think its particularly good business to shut off from a huge section of the market. With FM4 only a few months away and likely to bring in more and more new customers, which would sell more, a high end wheel for a minimum of price 350 euros or a low-mid level wheel for 150-200 euros? Remember, a high proportion of new FM4 buyers are likely to be kids, which one of my example prices are the parents more likely to pay for? And i would imagine its only the hardcore who already own a 360 compatible Fanatec and those with a lot of disposable income who are likely to buy the new wheel, many existing customers are likely to stick with the GT2 i imagine.

I honestly think developing these two news wheels, with new pedals, a new shifter as well as the clubsport shifter, which hasn't been shown yet, and the clubsport handbrake has stretched Fantec to the limit of their capabilities. Maybe they will develop a more affordable wheel in the future.
Old 16-06-2011, 09:58 AM   #22
PzR Tak
Race Driver

Gamertag
PzR Tak
Rep
vCash
I've got another theory about the madcatz ffb price, and it's all to do with that strange controller wheel hybrid. What if ms wanted to make sure the speed wheel looked especially affordable compared to the ffb so increased the license costs for developing an ffb wheel?

Put the ffb wheel so high that the speed wheel can be bought first, the ffb later.
Old 13-08-2011, 04:11 PM   #23
troma67
Spectator

Gamertag
TROMA67
Rep
vCash
I wonder if the madcatz wheel is going to be better than the microsoft wheel , which I have been using since FM3 came out without any problems. I would imagine the £199 price tag will soon be discounted once its been out for a few months.
Old 13-08-2011, 04:25 PM   #24
Senna s1979
Race team Owner

Rep
vCash
Originally Posted by troma67 View Post
I wonder if the madcatz wheel is going to be better than the microsoft wheel , which I have been using since FM3 came out without any problems. I would imagine the £199 price tag will soon be discounted once its been out for a few months.

I would imagine it wont be all that different. Gear driven and 1 motor by sounds of it.
Pedals look crap though - no chance of the old sponge-under-the-brake-pedal with them

You thinking of getting one mate? I'd say £200 is way too much for what it is - be better off spending an extra £50 on the GT2 Fanatec and getting the adapter for the MS pedals off eBay.
Old 18-01-2012, 03:54 PM   #25
Senna s1979
Race team Owner

Rep
vCash

Open in YouTube SD | Open in YouTube HD (when available)
Old 18-01-2012, 04:06 PM   #26
Tricky
Just Tricky

Gamertag
PzR Tricky
PSN Tag
Tricky4
Rep
vCash
Awards
Member of the Month Best Driver Award 
YouTube Profile
Happened to watch that video yesterday. Having used the (still cheapish) Driving Force Pro on my PC occasionally has made my MS Wheel feel more and more crappy. Just can't justify the price tag for the Madcatz FFB though - let alone that quality of wheel.
Last edited by Tricky; 18-01-2012 at 04:46 PM.
Old 18-01-2012, 04:36 PM   #27
Senna s1979
Race team Owner

Rep
vCash
Nah, its a terrible price.
Half that would be half tempting to people - but for a few squids more you can have a Fanatec that will work with your PC and PS3 too.
Old 18-01-2012, 04:54 PM   #28
hOnG k0nG fu3y
Race Driver

Gamertag
hOnG k0nG fU3y
Rep
vCash
$250 lol
Old 18-01-2012, 05:39 PM   #29
Judge
Race Driver

Gamertag
JUDGE 38
Rep
vCash
Doesn`t the guy on the right work for Fanatec though ?
It`s like asking Mel Gibson if he likes Hanukkah ...
Old 18-01-2012, 05:44 PM   #30
CQR CQR Jono
Fuel Technician

Gamertag
CQR Jono
Rep
vCash
Twitter Profile YouTube Profile
Originally Posted by Judge Clarke View Post
Doesn`t the guy on the right work for Fanatec though ?

Nope - he did do for a short time but he left a while ago

Tags
big, carrera, clubsport, competition, driving, fanatec, feedback, fm4, forza, free, happy, huge, king, microsoft, news, page, ps3, racing, shifter, tfr, video, xbox