Go Back   FMUK > Project Cars > Tunes

Register Now for FREE!
Our records show you have not yet registered. To sign up and get instant access to all our features, simply fill out the form below.

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
  I agree to forum rules 

User Tag List

Old 13-10-2015, 09:35 PM   #1
TfR Spiny Anteater
Race Team Manager

Gamertag
Spiny Anteater
Rep
vCash
Awards
Photocomp Winner Photocomp Winner 
Ginetta G40 Junior

Since the new series is starting soon, I figured I might as well create a tune for this in case anyone wants it. And since not everyone has the same taste in setups, I figured it might be worth doing a step-by-step thread on how I ended up with that, so at least people can see how I ended up with this, and adjust to taste as required. I'm planning to tune on Donington National as it has a variety of corners, and so should give an idea of where the car is struggling. As an added bonus, this track will be in the series.

I can see this taking a couple of days to get done, so bear with me for now.

So, without further ado, here's the default setup (adjustable parts only are shown).

Tyres: Automatic by Weather
Front Tyre Pressure: 1.40 Bar
Rear Tyre Pressure: 1.25 Bar
Brake Pressure: 90%
Brake Bias: 58%
(Traction Control doesn't show up as I always tune with no assists).

Longitudinal Weight Bias: 48%
Steering Ratio: 13.9:1
Front Camber: -2.4 deg
Rear Camber: -1.4 deg
Front Toe: -0.1 deg
Rear Toe: 0.2 deg

Front Ride Height: 90mm
Rear Ride Height: 93mm
Front Sway Bar: 60N/mm
Rear Sway Bar: 18N/mm

Front Bump Stops: 15mm
Rear Bump Stops: 20mm
Front Slow Bump: 6900 N/m/s
Rear Slow Bump: 6900 N/m/s
Front Slow Rebound: 10,250 N/m/s
Rear Slow Rebound: 10, 250 N/m/s

Limited Slip Accel Lock: 40%
Limited Slip Decel Lock: 10%
Limited Slip Preload: 0 N-m

Final Drive: 3.91
1st: 2.00
2nd: 1.53
3rd: 1.23
4th: 1.04
5th: 0.92
6th: 0.83

Fuel Load: 45l
Qually Fuel Load: 45l
Brake Mapping: 3

That's the default setup. Quite a few bits we can change, quite a few we can't.

We all learn from our mistakes. I am very well educated...

RIP Stuart (Hoonta). Gone. Not Forgotten.
Old 13-10-2015, 09:57 PM   #2
TfR Spiny Anteater
Race Team Manager

Gamertag
Spiny Anteater
Rep
vCash
Awards
Test Drive 1 - Time@ 1:26.8
Taking the default tune out for it's first drive, my first impression is that it's actually not too bad. The main issues for me are that the steering is quite twitchy on the controller (I think that this has been the case for every car I've tried in default setup) and that if you leave the brake on slightly too long the rear end will come around on you with very little warning - this is not a car to trail brake in.

I'm going to try to do something about the steering first as this is an easy fix, so will change the steering ratio to 19.9:1. (Note that this may be unnecessary for steering wheel users).

Test Drive 2 - Time: 1:26.5
Perhaps surprisingly, the change to the steering has also made the rear end slightly tamer. However, it will still try to come around on you, particularly under braking into the last chicane. The car is actually pretty good through the fast corners, so I'm reluctant to make too drastic changes for now. I suspect I'll end up changing the brake bias a bit down the line, but for now I'm going to make a slight change to the rear rebound (all dampers are slow on this car) which should reduce the rate of weight transfer from the rear wheels and help give a bit more warning of any loss of control while also slightly slowing the rate at which the car turns in. As such, I'm going to reduce the Rear Slow Rebound to 8850 N/m/s.

Test Drive 3 - Time: 1:25.6
I'm not sure about that change. The car feels a bit ponderous turning into most of the corners, but still threatens to step out at the back through the first corner in particular. That said, I was the best part of a second a lap quicker, so I'm going to leave the change in for now. I think the next step is to try to get the brakes sorted which should make a difference going into the first and last corners, and hopefully not change much int he quicker turns. As this is quite a blunt tool, I'll move the Brake Balance forward slightly to 59%.

Test Drive 4 - Time: 1:24.8
Well, that sort of worked. The car feels very good now through the last chicane - a big improvement on when I started and I'm gaining almost half a second at that chicane just from the improved stability under braking. However, the car still has a tendency to try to break away at the back through Redgate (first corner) and McLean's (Turn 7) so there is work to be done. Through the rest of the corners, there's nothing really standing out as being wrong at the moment, so I don't want to do anything too drastic. Looking at the telemetry, I'm not convinced that the car isn't cocking the rear right wheel going into these corners, so I wonder if the rear is a little stiff. Unfortunately, the springs aren't adjustable on the Ginetta so that's out, while the rear sway bar is defaulted to it's softest setting. Equally, I don't want to spoil the balance by stiffening the front sway bar as that is likely to induce understeer. So, for my next step, I'm going to try raising the rear ride height to put some rake on the car. That should give the rear suspension a bit more travel which may help keep the inside wheel on the ground and will also add a (very small amount of downforce). As such, I'm going to increase the rear ride height to 100mm.

Unfortunately, that's me done for tonight, so I won't get to try this out until tomorrow.

Last edited by Spiny Anteater; 13-10-2015 at 10:36 PM.
Old 13-10-2015, 11:07 PM   #3
Slim
Race team Owner

Gamertag
PzR Slim
Rep
vCash
I'll give it a spin
Old 14-10-2015, 11:00 AM   #4
TfR smokinmasta
Head Admin

Gamertag
TfR smokinmasta
PSN Tag
Smokinmasta
Rep
vCash
Awards
Member of the Month Best Paintjob Award 
YouTube Profile
Did my simple tame. Slow steering, stiffen front bump by 1 notch and reduced rear bump 1.

Sent from Galaxy my S6
Old 14-10-2015, 06:35 PM   #5
TfR Spiny Anteater
Race Team Manager

Gamertag
Spiny Anteater
Rep
vCash
Awards
Originally Posted by Slim View Post
I'll give it a spin

I'll be interested to see if you feel the same characteristics as I did. However, note that this isn't finished yet - it's just paused as it was time for bed.

I did though have a go in the car after I lifted the rear and it didn't make much difference to the feel to be honest - only a very, very slight improvement. What it really wants is to be able to drop the rear slow rebound and raise the rear fast rebound, but as fast rebound isn't adjustable on the G40 I'm going to have to look elsewhere. That longitudinal weight bias is winking at me, but there's a couple of other bits I'll play around with first.

Old 14-10-2015, 07:39 PM   #6
PzR Jamesy 77
Crew Chief

Gamertag
PzR Jamesy 77
PSN Tag
PzrJamesy77
Rep
vCash
Will have to get on over weekend for a go not raced on couple weeks

DTM Champion

PzYtc Runner Up, Manufacturers title for Red Bull

PzTcc S5 Runner Up

Monaro Cup Champion
Old 14-10-2015, 07:43 PM   #7
TfR JohnG
Race Driver

Gamertag
TfR JohnG
Rep
vCash
Twitter Profile
Send a message via MSN to JohnG
Yup. Some old fashioned dry weather racing to get used to cars?

Sent from my E6553 using Tapatalk
Old 14-10-2015, 09:16 PM   #8
TfR Spiny Anteater
Race Team Manager

Gamertag
Spiny Anteater
Rep
vCash
Awards
And back to the tuning....

Test Drive 5 - 1:24.3
Not sure how much of that half second is down to an improvement in the tune and how much is down to me being fresh, but there's a half second gain from adding rake to the suspension. Unfortunately, the car still wants to spin out at Redgate on cold tyres (it's fine once warmed up), so my next task is to try to sort that. I suspect that warm tyres are providing enough grip to overcome whatever issue is there on cold, but want to address it anyway. The car is turning in ok, and is fine under acceleration, but mid-corner it wants to spin out. Ordinarily I'd look at the springs and sway bars for this, but the car is fine in all other corners except McLeans. I suspect that it may be rolling over on its rear tyres, so am going to try increasing the rear negative camber to -1.7 degrees.

Test Drive 6 - No time
Slightly different test this time, drive out of the pits 3 times and the issue is still there. Not only the oversteer still on the car where it was before, but has reappeared in new corners. Think I'll undo that change - not everything can go to plan. I am though going to try moving the rear camber the other way to see if sitting the tyre straighter and increasing the contact patch will help. So this time, the rear camber is changing to -1.2 degrees.

Test Drive 7 - 1:24.9
Reducing negative camber may have improved the handling mid-corner, but only slightly, and turn-in is much worse costing me time. Looks like -1.4 degrees may be the sweet spot for now. I'm going to look next at the toe. With so little power, if I can get away with running zero toe, I may manage to gain a little on the straights. The question is how much that will impair the handling. So for the next step, I will return rear camber to -1.4 degrees and change the rear toe-in to 0 degrees.

Test Drive 8 - 1:24.8
While the time doesn't show it, I dialling out the rear toe has helped. The car feels much better through the corners, but it does step out when turning in, a trait which worsens as the tyres warm up. Fortunately, this is something which I should be able to treat using the rear rebound, so I'll take another click out of it. Reduce rear slow rebound to 7450 N/m/s

Test Drive 9 - 1:23.7
As the time shows, that was a big improvement. Most of the gain has come in the last chicane, where the additional stability is allowing me to be much more accurate and as a result I can consistently take the chicane in 3rd gear now rather than 2nd. The benefits of that feed down the start/finish straight and that has led to me gaining eight tenths just in that last chicane and straight. In truth, I could leave it at that, but there is a slight bit of oversteer while I'm still under braking if I need to turn at the same time. The obvious thing would be to move the brake balance forwards, but as said yesterday that can be a blunt tool. So instead, I'm going to raise the brake mapping to 4 and hope that is a bit more subtle.

Test Drive 10 - 1:24.1
It's getting slightly quicker (believe it or not) as I was on for a 1:23.5 until I lost the back end. Contrary to the in game text, increasing the Brake Mapping setting seems to have made the back end looser under braking. I preferred the feel of the car with the Brake Mapping at 3 though, so will be returning to that. However, as the car is loosing the back end when I combine braking and turning, I'm going to play around with the diffs. Specifically the decel lock setting which is very low on this car. Usually I run it around 25-30%, so will push the decel up from its current 10%. Changes are brake mapping returned to 3, and Limited Slip Decel Lock increased to 25%.

Test Drive 11 - 1:23.1
I think I'm pretty much there now. The car feels quite stable, even on cold tyres, and I can push it with confidence. I can't do much with the gears as ideally I'd prefer them a little shorter, but they're as short as possible already. So that just leaves fuel and tyres. And that suggests I want a longer stint that the 3 lap tests I've been doing so far in tuning...

Last edited by Spiny Anteater; 14-10-2015 at 10:42 PM.
Old 15-10-2015, 09:43 PM   #9
TfR Spiny Anteater
Race Team Manager

Gamertag
Spiny Anteater
Rep
vCash
Awards
Test Drive 12
Came back to this tonight, and as often happens I felt that it wasn't quite as right as I though last night. Tonight, it felt as though the car still wanted to step out a little at the back, particularly when transitioning from deceleration to acceleration mid corner.

After a bit of messing about trying things, it turned out that the culprit was that rake I added following Test Drive 4. So, my next move was to take off half of that added ride height reducing the rear ride height to 95mm.

Test Drive 13 - 1:23.3
OK, this wasn't as quick as last night, but I don't feel as in the groove as I did last night so I think there's a large driver element at play here. What I also feel though is that the car is much better now. So, time to play with fuel and tyres.

I'm looking for half-hour races for the Ginetta series, which equates to 21 laps. I'm going to aim to get the minimum possible fuel while keeping above 21 laps predicted - as I rarely use anything like as much as predicted that gives me a safety margin (I hope!) so any pit stops can be tyre-only affairs. Similarly, I will also reduce the qualifying fuel load. I'm aiming for a similar structure to the series as smokin had for his GT3 nights, so looking at about 10 minutes for qualifying. 8 laps worth should be enough fuel for that. Fuel load to 28l, qualifying load to 11l.

Old 15-10-2015, 10:16 PM   #10
TfR Spiny Anteater
Race Team Manager

Gamertag
Spiny Anteater
Rep
vCash
Awards
After running 10 laps, a few things became apparent. Firstly, tonight is definitely not a good driving night for me as I could only equal my time above despite carrying less fuel. Secondly, the default pressures seem to be ok as the outside tyres were in the 205-210 degrees Fahrenheit range once warmed up which is where I wanted them to be. And thirdly, tyre wear is quite slow, so I will have to put a muliplier in place for the series.

But, after all that, this is the tune I ended up with. Still got a couple of little gremlins on cold tyres, but overall I'm reasonably happy with it. All changes from the default set-up are in bold red

Tyres: Automatic by Weather
Front Tyre Pressure: 1.40 Bar
Rear Tyre Pressure: 1.25 Bar
Brake Pressure: 90%
Brake Bias: 59%
(Traction Control doesn't show up as I always tune with no assists).

Longitudinal Weight Bias: 48.0%

Steering Ratio: 18.9:1
Front Camber: -2.4 deg
Rear Camber: -1.4 deg
Front Toe: -0.1 deg
Rear Toe: 0.0 deg

Front Ride Height: 90mm
Rear Ride Height: 95mm
Front Sway Bar: 60N/mm
Rear Sway Bar: 18N/mm

Front Bump Stops: 15mm
Rear Bump Stops: 20mm
Front Slow Bump: 6900 N/m/s
Rear Slow Bump: 6900 N/m/s
Front Slow Rebound: 10,250 N/m/s
Rear Slow Rebound: 7450 N/m/s

Limited Slip Accel Lock: 40%
Limited Slip Decel Lock: 25%
Limited Slip Preload: 0 N-m

Final Drive: 3.91
1st: 2.00
2nd: 1.53
3rd: 1.23
4th: 1.04
5th: 0.92
6th: 0.83

Fuel Load: 28l
Qually Fuel Load: 11l
Brake Mapping: 3

Old 18-10-2015, 12:50 PM   #11
TfR JohnG
Race Driver

Gamertag
TfR JohnG
Rep
vCash
Twitter Profile
We running a practice tonight lads?

Old 18-10-2015, 03:58 PM   #12
Slim
Race team Owner

Gamertag
PzR Slim
Rep
vCash
I should be around so will be up for a bit of practice
Old 18-10-2015, 08:50 PM   #13
PzR Jamesy 77
Crew Chief

Gamertag
PzR Jamesy 77
PSN Tag
PzrJamesy77
Rep
vCash
Iam on up for practice

DTM Champion

PzYtc Runner Up, Manufacturers title for Red Bull

PzTcc S5 Runner Up

Monaro Cup Champion
Old 18-10-2015, 11:52 PM   #14
TfR JohnG
Race Driver

Gamertag
TfR JohnG
Rep
vCash
Twitter Profile
Superb fun little things these.

Old 19-10-2015, 06:37 PM   #15
TfR Spiny Anteater
Race Team Manager

Gamertag
Spiny Anteater
Rep
vCash
Awards
That's good to hear. Augers well for the series.

Tags
cars, driving, happy, king, practice, qualifying, racing, running, steering, tapatalk, tune, tuning, yup