Go Back   FMUK > Forza Motorsport 5 > General Forza 5 discussion

Register Now for FREE!
Our records show you have not yet registered. To sign up and get instant access to all our features, simply fill out the form below.

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
  I agree to forum rules 

User Tag List

Old 05-02-2014, 07:31 PM   #1
HLR Dark Moon
Manuel Almoonio

Gamertag
HLR Dark Moon
Rep
vCash
Awards
Photocomp Winner 
Twitter Profile YouTube Profile
Dark Side of the Moon - Smoking Tire DLC Review

Hello and welcome to Dark Side of the Moon.
Many of our older members of the site will remember I used to do this sort of thing way back when on Forza 2, I think it was. Well guess what guys, its back and today I will be taking a look at the 10 car in the Smoking Tire DLC car pack.

All 10 cars were given a 3 lap run around Yas Marina North Circuit and were not tuned or upgraded in the slightest, so with that out of the way lets get on with it.

2013 Abarth Punto Supersport
D381

Click the image to open in full size.

Europe’s hot hatches appeared in the 1970s, were big throughout the 1980s, and sort of faded away in the 1990s when the Continent’s industry shoved sensitive, “bio-designed” family cars down the throats of consumers.
But hopped-up hatches have returned to the scene in the Old World, and one of our favorites is the Abarth Punto, which has just debuted in Supersport form. It is the last in a line of fast, front-wheel-drive Fiat subcompacts that started with the Fiat 127 Sport in 1978 and was carried forward with the Uno Turbo, the Punto GT Turbo, and the Punto HGT. For a few years, Fiat had no high-powered Punto, but a high-powered*Grande Punto*returned under the Abarth moniker in 2007.

Price – 41,000cr

Looks – I think this is a cracking looking little car. I'm not too keen on the huge radiator grill on the front of the car, but apart from that, I can't find anything the I dislike.

Performance – This was a very nice car to drive. Yes it understeers, but then all FWD cars do and I have driven many which understeer a hell of a lot more than this does. It felt very well balanced and the engine just sounded great.

This is a car I am looking forward to building up and seeing how it does in C-Class

Lap Time – 1:29.208

2000 BMW Z8
C479

The*BMW Z8*is a*roadster*produced by*German*automaker*BMW*from 1999 to 2003. It was given the E52 BMW model code.
The Z8 was the production variant of the 1997 Z07*concept car. The car design was the effort of a design team led by*Chris Bangle. The exterior was designed by*Henrik Fisker*and the interior byMichael Ninic.[1]*The Z07 originally was designed as a styling exercise intended to evoke and celebrate the 1956-'59*BMW 507*and to celebrate the millennium change. The Z07 caused a sensation at the '97 Tokyo Auto Show. The overwhelming popularity of the concept spurred BMW's decision to produce a limited production model called the Z8.

Price – 140,000cr

Looks – This for me is what I like to call a classic hair dressers car. I mean it's not ugly, it's just that it would suit a female a lot more than a male in my opinion.

Performance – This just felt boring to be honest. On cold tyre's the back end likes to come out and play, but once they have warmed up it really is simple to control and it just doesn't feel fast or lively.

I think this one will just be gathering dust in my garage.

Lap Time – 1:23.627

1994 Nissan Fairlady Z Version S Twin Turbo
C414

This is part of original Z cars that started production in 1969. This car had the VG-series engine that was packed with variable valve timing, dual cams, and twin turbochargers. However, the car was expensive outside*Japan. Even then, Z sold well in North America.

Price – 20,000cr

Looks – A smart looking motor I must say. It's not the type of car to stand out in a crowd, but never the less I find this very appealing.

Performance – This thing loves to corner, the amount of grip I had when driving it was unreal. This really is a great car, the only let down was the lack of any real acceleration when powering out of low speed corners.

This car will be getting built up for sure.

Lap Time – 1:26.180

2002 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am Ram Air
C416

The Pontiac Firebird has pop-up headlights and solid rear axle. The car pulls up 325-horsepower with a LS1 V8 engine and features excellent brakes and the six-speed gears are a tribute to Pontiac's performance-driven heritage.

Price – 23,000cr

Looks – This car looks great from every angle as long as you cant see the front of the car. I just hate that double air intake on the bonnet.

Performance – Really didn't enjoy anything about how this car drives. It is very easy to drive, its just that it really doesn't offer you any sensation at all. A very boring drive.

Another dust gatherer in my garage.

Lap Time – 1:26.591

2011 Ferrari FF
A651

The Ferrari FF (Ferrari Four) stands for four seats, four-wheel drive. The car has lots of power with a V12 engine that gives out 651 horsepower. It also has Pininfarina shooting brake body style, all-wheel*drivesystem. This car has tremendous grip of any surface.

Price – 310,000cr

Looks – This is as ugly as hell, it looks like they had two design teams working on it and there wasn't any communication between them. I mean you have a very typical Ferrari looking front of the car and then the rear looks like they were trying to make a hatchback and they have then just stuck both ends together.

Performance – I really didn't get on with this car. On one corner I would get masses of understeer and then on the next turn, huge oversteer so I never knew what I was going to get. Also the brakes were terrible, I would either lock up completely or not stop at all.

This can be sorted out once the brakes have been tuned, but I dislike the car so much it will just sit in the garage.

Lap Time – 1:19.262

1968 Alfa Romeo 33 Stradale
B510

This is a beautiful, lightweight and powerful car, which is extremely rare and expensive when it was sold in U.S. Only two cars remain in the continent out of the three. This is part of greatest private collections of Italian cars in the world.
It used butterfly-style doors, large wrap-around glass, twin-spark ignition, dual-overhead cams, a six-speed Coletti transmission and lot of lightweight magnesium parts. It had a two-liter V8 engine with RPM of 9,500.

Price – 1,580,000cr ( free when you buy the pack )

Looks – A beautiful looking car. I just love the old sports cars and how they were styled and this is right up there with the California.

Performance – The first thing you will notice about this car is the acceleration is crazy ( 0-60 in 5 seconds ) for a stock car in B-Class. The drive is very well balanced and you are always in complete control, but there are a couple of down sides. The suspension is just far too soft and the amount of lean you get when cornering is ridiculous. Also the brakes are not the best, but the good thing is that all of them problems can be fixed with upgrades and tuning.

Really looking forward to sticking race tyre's on this and tuning it up into an A-Class monster.

Lap Time – 1:19.943

1966 Chevrolet Nova SS
D363

This car is a hallmark of early American Muscle that would go on to have a loyal following. It has a fastback-like roofline and plenty of bright aluminum in the grill and deck lid cove, which made it look compact. It had four-cylinder engine that gave out 350 horsepower.

Price – 71,000cr

Looks – It's a muscle car. Its a huge box on wheels and all muscle cars are ugly as hell itself. I think its safe to say I am not a fan.

Performance – A very typical D-Class muscle car. No thrills, no excitement, just pure boredom.

Lap Time – 1:29.324

2004 Maserati MC12
A686

Only fifty cars were produced and it had a stress-bearing chassis made out of carbon fiber and Nomex honeycomb sandwich. Since the MC12 was too wide, it could only compete as guest in American Le Mans Series.

Price – 620,000cr

Looks – A pure racer, which I think looks the muts nuts. There is just nothing I dont like about this car.

Performance – This was the car I was most looking forward to in this car pack, and I am so pleased to say I am not disappointed. There is simply nothing wrong with this car, its perfectly balanced, the brakes work great and the song coming from the engine is fantastic.

This will be built up in both A and S-Class for sure.

Lap Time - 1:14.604

1992 Toyota Celica GT-Four ST185
D369

There were 5,000 GT-Four RC ST185's that were produced by*Toyota*for Group A Rally competition. But ST185 is not racing version as it has 10 turbo-charged engine that can give out 232 horsepower.

Price – 16,000cr

Looks – Now its not a bad looking car, but for me its just lacking something. Something just seems to be missing from it, but I just can't put my finger on what that something is.

Performance – Although it is the slowest car round our track, this Celica was really good fun to drive. Very nice grip due to the AWD, so no under/oversteer problems. I think if you strip all the weight out of this, there really could be a pretty good lobby car.

Lap Time – 1:30.191

1995 Audi RS 2 Avant
C444

This car comes with a turbocharged five-cylinder engine with*mesh*grilles*and projector headlight with *signature Audi interlinked rings.

Price – 26,000cr

Looks – It's horrible. It's a big boxy family estate car for crying out loud.

Performance – This car really was as dull to drive as it looks. I cant really say any more about it to be honest.

Lap Time – 1:25.546

Comments

Old 05-02-2014, 07:31 PM   #2
HLR Dark Moon
Manuel Almoonio

Gamertag
HLR Dark Moon
Rep
vCash
Awards
Photocomp Winner 
So there we have it, all 10 cars tested and so now we move onto the car of the pack.

The Punto was a great little car and I am going to enjoy putting a paint and tune ( well having a go at trying to tune ) on it, but at 41,000cr I think it's a bit too expensive for what it is.

So that leaves me with two to choose from, the Maserati MC12 and the Alfa 33 Stradale.

Out of the two, I have to pick the MC12. Now I know the Alfa is free, but if it wasn't, I really couldn't justify spending 1.5 million credits on it, even though it is a fantastic car to drive.

The Maserati was simply amazing in every aspect. It looks great and drives even better and I can see me spending many hours thrashing this car around the track and so it wins my car of the pack award.

Old 05-02-2014, 07:32 PM   #3
TfR Doony
Race Driver

Gamertag
TfR Doony
Rep
vCash
Awards
Best Paintjob Award 
Send a message via MSN to Doony
Good job! Been a loooong while since you did one of those
Old 05-02-2014, 08:56 PM   #4
Slim
Race team Owner

Gamertag
PzR Slim
Rep
vCash
Nice one DM. Proper nostalgia trip

Comments

Aye - second that
Old 05-02-2014, 09:05 PM   #5
TfR Milton
Race Driver

Gamertag
TfR Milton
Rep
vCash
Awards
Photocomp Winner Best Rookie Award 
YouTube Profile
Nice work mate, very nice write up.

will you being doing other cars or focus on the packs ?
Old 05-02-2014, 09:45 PM   #6
HLR Dark Moon
Manuel Almoonio

Gamertag
HLR Dark Moon
Rep
vCash
Awards
Photocomp Winner 
Once the competitions fully start up and the HLC's get going again, it really will be a trip down memory lane for a few people on here.
Old 05-02-2014, 09:52 PM   #7
TfR smokinmasta
Head Admin

Gamertag
TfR smokinmasta
PSN Tag
Smokinmasta
Rep
vCash
Awards
Member of the Month Best Paintjob Award 
YouTube Profile
Originally Posted by Dark Moon View Post
Once the competitions fully start up and the HLC's get going again, it really will be a trip down memory lane for a few people on here.

We remember the 'magazine' with fondness . I know it took up a lot of your life though!!

Would like me to pull one out of archive??
Old 05-02-2014, 10:05 PM   #8
HLR Dark Moon
Manuel Almoonio

Gamertag
HLR Dark Moon
Rep
vCash
Awards
Photocomp Winner 
Yeah go for it mate.

It did take up a lot of time to put together, so once I get going again I will be grateful if people want to do their own article for it and make it a real community blog
Old 05-02-2014, 10:47 PM   #9
Senna s1979
Race team Owner

Rep
vCash
Great to have these back. Even if i don't have Forza 5
Old 06-02-2014, 07:42 PM   #10
TfR Spiny Anteater
Race Team Manager

Gamertag
Spiny Anteater
Rep
vCash
Awards
Photocomp Winner Photocomp Winner 
Originally Posted by Dark Moon View Post
Yeah go for it mate.

It did take up a lot of time to put together, so once I get going again I will be grateful if people want to do their own article for it and make it a real community blog

Will be good to see this back.

We all learn from our mistakes. I am very well educated...

RIP Stuart (Hoonta). Gone. Not Forgotten.
Old 07-02-2014, 12:40 PM   #11
[HLR] totlxtc
Race Driver

Gamertag
Totlxtc
Rep
vCash
Awards
Photocomp Winner Photocomp Winner Member of the Month 
Send a message via MSN to totlxtc
Nice one Liam! Liking this sort of thing a lot!

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose." - Ayrton Senna
"Sex...the breakfast of champions" - James Hunt

Tags
big, bmw, cars, class, competition, dlc, driving, engine, focus, forza, free, greatest, huge, lobby, paint, race, racing, signature, stock, supersport, tuning, welcome, win, world