Go Back   FMUK > General > Motors and Motorsports

Register Now for FREE!
Our records show you have not yet registered. To sign up and get instant access to all our features, simply fill out the form below.

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
  I agree to forum rules 

Old 21-02-2013, 08:26 PM   #31
Rekkymech
Race Driver

Gamertag
rekkymech
PSN Tag
rekkymech
Rep
vCash
Awards
Photocomp Winner 
Originally Posted by smokinmasta View Post
Forgetting the dog carrying thing for a moment (1 of your requirements)...............6 miles to work is barely worth getting a car isnt it (being 'Devils advocate here)?........... Sums suggest that less than 5000 miles a year is usually not worth a purchase and running cost. Odd as it sounds taking an expensive Taxi (get a contract with them to reduce cost too) to work will work out much cheaper if do the sums correctly and include all expense on the car INCLUDING depreciation. Average 2nd hand car works out around 40p mile to run give or take................

1 big thing that people miss off when they put forward this equation, the price of independance which is priceless,

Sounds like an old romantic dream, but having your own car means you can just take off and chase the horizons.......

Especially in your part of the world mike

"Lifes a climb, but the view is awesome"

Fat people are harder to kidnap !

totalfusion@groups.facebook.com
Old 21-02-2013, 09:14 PM   #32
TfR JohnG
Race Driver

Gamertag
TfR JohnG
Rep
vCash
Twitter Profile
Send a message via MSN to JohnG
Originally Posted by TfR rekkymech View Post
1 big thing that people miss off when they put forward this equation, the price of independance which is priceless,

Sounds like an old romantic dream, but having your own car means you can just take off and chase the horizons.......

Especially in your part of the world mike

Couldn't agree more. Tge very few days / weeks in the past 15 years where I've not had a car, I've felt trapped.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2
Old 21-02-2013, 11:39 PM   #33
TfR Mike
Race Driver

Rep
vCash
Awards
Best Driver Award 
well the car is for getting to work as cycle/public transport isn't an option but it has to have space for the dogs as i use my downtime taking them walks in the various hills and forests in the surrounding area. Busses up here are nearing 5 a day so its cheaper to just run a car with the fact that you tend to also use it for going to the shops etc. Not having a car is like a crazy option unless you live in one of the large cities that are well connected.
Last edited by TfR Mike; 21-02-2013 at 11:43 PM.
Old 21-02-2013, 11:50 PM   #34
TfR smokinmasta
Head Admin

Gamertag
TfR smokinmasta
PSN Tag
Smokinmasta
Rep
vCash
Awards
Member of the Month Best Paintjob Award 
YouTube Profile
Originally Posted by TfR Mike View Post
well the car is for getting to work as cycle/public transport isn't an option but it has to have space for the dogs as i use my downtime taking them walks in the various hills and forests in the surrounding area. Busses up here are nearing 5 a day so its cheaper to just run a car with the fact that you tend to also use it for going to the shops etc. Not having a car is like a crazy option unless you live in one of the large cities that are well connected.

As i said - being Devils advocate Thought you lived in Aberdeen? Not what thought was back of beyond!! Should try living where i do in Norfolk.............you know when you live in the sticks when the nearest Tesco (which are, lets face it every-bloody-where) is 12 miles away!! We only have 1 bus out of the village a day and same one back in later that day!!

PS are you using dog crates to move the pups around? Im sure i have some still around - ideal and safe for the dogs and passengers
Last edited by smokinmasta; 21-02-2013 at 11:52 PM.
Old 22-02-2013, 11:34 AM   #35
TfR Mike
Race Driver

Rep
vCash
Awards
Best Driver Award 
Aberdeen is shocking for public transport. First bus have the council by the balls with threatening to bugger off with their HQ elsewhere so basically run all the services in the city and every route heads to union street. I work out just past the airport for which there isn't actually a bus service that gets me within a mile of work nevermind at any sort of reasonable time

I was amazed being down in manchester/stockport that i could catch a train places and it not take the best part of an hour to go anywhere you needed to go.

Currently my dog setup is big one in the boot (suzuki swift) with little room to spare with a guard between the boot/rear seats and the small dog with a harness attached to the seat belt. I have a large dog crate that i use in the house but i would effectively just turn the estate car boot into a giant dog crate so i don't have to put up with dog hairs all over the interior. I've not really been taking the dogs out in the car much in the recent weather as its just too much effort keeping the car clean. Any estate i go for would definitely need a rubber/plastic mix cargo tray added for wipe down cleaning

Click the image to open in full size.
Last edited by TfR Mike; 22-02-2013 at 11:42 AM.
Old 22-02-2013, 01:21 PM   #36
Senna s1979
Race team Owner

Rep
vCash
Aberdeen is shocking for public transport.

Agree. My mate moved up there and is well pissed off as they are now a 2 car family..... They didn't have one between them when they lived in Glasgow. No need.

I'd go for the Legacy.... people rave about them who have them and Subaru's are generally bullet proof mechanically if a bit flaky in the interior/trim department.
Old 22-02-2013, 08:31 PM   #37
TfR Magic
Race Driver

Gamertag
TfR Magic
PSN Tag
TG-MagicBoy
Rep
vCash
Awards
Best Paintjob Award 
YouTube Profile
I was amazed being down in manchester/stockport that i could catch a train places and it not take the best part of an hour to go anywhere you needed to go.

It's nice being able to get the 8 miles into Manchester with a 5 minute walk plus a 10 minutes train ride with one every 10-15 minutes. Cheaper to get the train than park in the city centre.

Bus service isn't bad either, the vomit comet (192 bus) runs all night long which comes in handy after a protracted drinking session!
Old 24-02-2013, 06:15 PM   #38
TfR Mike
Race Driver

Rep
vCash
Awards
Best Driver Award 
So... this may apply so someone. has anyone imported a car from japan? It would seem that the legacy is much more common there so potentially better cars could be available if i'm willing to wait. Just doing as much research as i can.
Old 24-02-2013, 06:18 PM   #39
TfR Magic
Race Driver

Gamertag
TfR Magic
PSN Tag
TG-MagicBoy
Rep
vCash
Awards
Best Paintjob Award 
YouTube Profile
Don't the Japs not bother to rustproof their domestic cars?
Old 24-02-2013, 06:31 PM   #40
TfR Spiny Anteater
Race Team Manager

Gamertag
Spiny Anteater
Rep
vCash
Awards
Photocomp Winner Photocomp Winner 
Pretty much the case as I understand it. They generally last for 7 years then get a super tough MOT equivalent if I remember right. Then most of the cars are either scrapped or exported.

So, not much call to rustproof them for the domestic market and, unless you're after something quite rare, probably not worth the hassle of importing

We all learn from our mistakes. I am very well educated...

RIP Stuart (Hoonta). Gone. Not Forgotten.
Old 24-02-2013, 06:33 PM   #41
Rekkymech
Race Driver

Gamertag
rekkymech
PSN Tag
rekkymech
Rep
vCash
Awards
Photocomp Winner 
Well if they don't they must use high grade steel cus they don't seem to rot out any quicker than your average european, should imagine they do being an island taking a lot of salt off of the sea......

"Lifes a climb, but the view is awesome"

Fat people are harder to kidnap !

totalfusion@groups.facebook.com
Old 24-02-2013, 06:59 PM   #42
TfR Mike
Race Driver

Rep
vCash
Awards
Best Driver Award 
Just toying with the idea of going for a slightly older (2000/01) GTB so i can scare myself once in a while. Should avoid it like the plague really.
Old 24-02-2013, 06:59 PM   #43
TfR Spiny Anteater
Race Team Manager

Gamertag
Spiny Anteater
Rep
vCash
Awards
Two bits on the rust.

Firstly, Honshu (largest Japanese island) is larger than Great Britain shouldn't really be any worse than us for sea air.

Secondly, it's the salt on the roads which is worse for cars than the salt in the air. I don't know if Japan uses salt, but I do know that New Zealand doesn't use salt on their roads and have lots of old Japanese cars there, many of which were imported from Japan at 7 years of age.

We all learn from our mistakes. I am very well educated...

RIP Stuart (Hoonta). Gone. Not Forgotten.
Old 24-02-2013, 07:11 PM   #44
TfR Mike
Race Driver

Rep
vCash
Awards
Best Driver Award 
Japan doesn't use salt on the roads.
Old 24-02-2013, 07:50 PM   #45
TfR JohnG
Race Driver

Gamertag
TfR JohnG
Rep
vCash
Twitter Profile
Send a message via MSN to JohnG
Just toying with the idea of going for a slightly older (2000/01) GTB so i can scare myself once in a while. Should avoid it like the plague really.

In terms of rust, the early to mid 90s cars weren't the best, mainly rear arches. Just make sure you give it a good thorough look around (ive had countless jap cars uk and import due to my high revving love) Post 2000 cars though generally the same advice, check the arches and the boot floor.

In terms of GTB, also consider the original cost of the car, the car value depreciates, but the running costs dont. In an extreme scenario, a db7 can be picked up for a tenth of the original price, but you still pay the same for services and parts.

Jap engines are generally bulletproof but check the oil especially if its a revvy car. If it's anywhere near the bottom of the dipstick, walk. Simple. 80% of all engine failures I've seen over the years are due to bad maintenance and mainly low oil levels!

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2
Old 24-02-2013, 07:52 PM   #46
Warrior
Race Driver

Gamertag
HLR Warrior
Rep
vCash
Cool

Imported an r34 from japan many moons ago Through a dealer here in Ireland very low mileage good interior had to get a few things done new tyres as their rubber is more of a wet weather stuff than ours . the lights as well And of course the radio . Have had it now for 9 years and it is under a cover in my fathers garage. Don't drive it very much tbh but has been a loyal and faithful servant and is entirely stock apart from radio.
So from my perspective Jap cars aren't to bad as long as you can get spares for the necessary maintenance but nowadays most motor factors can handle that.
Andy
You will be greatly missed by Family and friends[/center]
Old 25-02-2013, 04:17 PM   #47
TfR Mike
Race Driver

Rep
vCash
Awards
Best Driver Award 
Right think i'll just try and find a good 2.0 R from these shores as its only really the GTB/STI models that are worth importing.

Now i have managed to find the required parts to replace the stereo while keeping the climate controls in tact i just now need to find a stereo that will display japanese text in mp3 tags and everything can fall in to place. This part is proving extremely troublesome. My ipod will quite happily display the tags correctly but there doesn't seem to be a head unit (1 or 2 din) that will run on english menus but support asian unicode/UTF-8 characters. _ You would think that anything with an lcd screen could do it especially since a lot of them are made in japan (╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

Trying to get everything sorted so that come the time i don't suddenly find that i need to spend another 600+ just getting the car how i'd like it.
Last edited by TfR Mike; 25-02-2013 at 04:19 PM.
Old 05-04-2013, 05:46 PM   #48
TfR Mike
Race Driver

Rep
vCash
Awards
Best Driver Award 
To add some closure to this thread. I pick her up next sunday. Worth the 280 mile round trip to go see it yesterday.

Old 05-04-2013, 05:52 PM   #49
FMUK A Senna
Race Driver

Gamertag
EMW Takum1
Rep
vCash
Awards
Photocomp Winner 
YouTube Profile
Send a message via Skype™ to A Senna
looks nice mike
Old 05-04-2013, 05:55 PM   #50
TfR Mike
Race Driver

Rep
vCash
Awards
Best Driver Award 
I think it does, but getting 1/2 the mpg i currently get is going to be a shock to the system... as is filling up a 64 litre tank.
Old 05-04-2013, 06:45 PM   #51
TfR smokinmasta
Head Admin

Gamertag
TfR smokinmasta
PSN Tag
Smokinmasta
Rep
vCash
Awards
Member of the Month Best Paintjob Award 
YouTube Profile
She does look nice but mpg was the killer for mine Sti was only slightly better than 20 ...... Anyone getting much more is driving like an old lady and is missing the whole point of owning one
As you might as well as bought a 'normal' car
Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2
Old 05-04-2013, 11:30 PM   #52
TfR Mike
Race Driver

Rep
vCash
Awards
Best Driver Award 
As i think i said earlier my normal daily commute is only 6 miles either way during a time of day that there is no traffic so i shouldn't be getting through too much fuel.. might even treat it to some momentum 99 or v-power.
Old 14-04-2013, 08:56 PM   #53
TfR Mike
Race Driver

Rep
vCash
Awards
Best Driver Award 
It's awesome... Bit of a change going from a 1.2 swift to something that will just eat up the road.
Old 15-04-2013, 05:43 PM   #54
Bailey
Race Driver

Gamertag
TfR Bailey
Rep
vCash
Awards
Twitter Profile
Very nice

Sent from my Intel AZ210A using Tapatalk 2
Old 27-04-2013, 01:17 AM   #55
TfR Mike
Race Driver

Rep
vCash
Awards
Best Driver Award 
Almost 2 weeks down and the smile still hasn't gone when i get in to drive this thing. Don't think i mentioned it earlier in the thread but i ended up with the 3.0R Spec B (H6 N/A 6-cylinder boxxer engine). There's a few guys in aberdeen with the older GTB's and the legacy forum have been a wealth of information and gives me ideas on what to do with the car as i go along.

Get paid in the next couple of days so i'm looking forward to a blast through the countryside. For something of its size it hides it very well and just eats up corners and roundabouts to the point of injuring unsuspecting passengers on the way to football Sleeper cars are always amusing as you get the local chavs pulling up at the lights with their modified hatch and you just disappear

I'll write the 19mpg off as being a little bit too keen on the throttle for now and just aim to keep it around 24-25 in normal use. Long term plan is to try and run this until it is paid off then look at something like an rs4 avant. A boy can dream right?
Last edited by TfR Mike; 27-04-2013 at 01:21 AM.

Tags
advice, awesome, big, cars, driving, engine, focus, football, footy, gossip, history, king, live, manchester, night, page, post, running, rwd, school, steering, stock, tapatalk, tfr, win, world