Go Back   FMUK > Project Cars > General info

Register Now for FREE!
Our records show you have not yet registered. To sign up and get instant access to all our features, simply fill out the form below.

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
  I agree to forum rules 

User Tag List

Old 19-07-2011, 10:17 PM   #1
Senna s1979
Race team Owner

Rep
vCash
Project CARS (pcars)

This sounds like it could be one to watch

Quote:
Three months ago, Slightly Mad Studios’ Ian Bell shared his vision of a community-funded simulation title right here on VirtualR. What many may have dismissed as a very much utopian vision has gotten extremely real as the studio has been hard at work for the past few months to turn a great idea into a working project.
Named Community Assisted Race Sim, or C.A.R.S. for short, the project will allow ordinary sim racers to become investors in a racing simulation title and get a share of the profits and unmatched access to the development process and a say in the title’s direction.
For the past few months, the guys at Slightly Mad Studios have been hard at work on all fronts as Ian Bell has revealed some exclusive details on the team’s progress. The legal work on the project has just been completed and SMS is ready to launch the project’s website and accept investors within the next 2-3 weeks.
The studio will be offering investment options that will fit any budged, starting out with a 5€ option ending with gold-level commitment of 1000€ and beyond. All investors will be getting access to downloadable development builds throughout the development process, the level of investment will determine the amount of influence each member has though.
While every investor will get to vote on the direction the new title will take, gold members get to participate in board meetings where the bigger calls will be made, always considering the requests from the regular investors. Gold members will even get source-code access to the simulation while smaller investors will be given script access to play with.
Slightly Mad Studios promise a completely transparent development process as all investors get to follow every single bit of progress and every single discussion the developers will be having. The SMS team will work out in the open for all investors to see, there will be no closed-off development forum as all investors get to follow everything the development team does, “even the arguments,” as Ian Bell points out.
C.A.R.S will be used the stripped-down Shift 2 Unleashed engine as starting point, as the team will be adding new modules to it during the course of the development process, including a new DirectX 11 renderer, a new physics engine and new AI. Slightly Mad Studios expect a development cycle of at least 12 months until the finished product is ready, however all investors will be getting access to development builds throughout the process to keep everyone entertained.
Below is a first high-resolution preview, showing an immensely-detailed historical Lotus Formula One car in the garage. SMS is planning to release the first build shortly after the first investors joined, the first release will include a handful of cars and tracks to try out. The base content won’t be too advanced though as the investors will have the final say in the direction that the title will take and what content will be included.
SMS is planning to have fully-licensed content in the finished product, the team may be dealing with generic content in the development builds though while the licensing is being finalised in the background.
For years now, sim racers have been bemoaning the publishers lack of interest in sim racing and the missing influence on developing titles. It looks like Slightly Mad Studios will be changing all that with C.A.R.S.

Click the image to open in full size.

Quote:
The new previews show off the historical Lotus 49 Formula One car, including a shot of the car’s very detailed cockpit.
The model seen in the previews is made up of around 250.000 polygons and will run in-game in this kind of quality, thanks to DirectX 11 and the complexity of the used shaders as SMS is aiming to set a new benchmark in visual quality. Aside from pushing the limits in terms of graphics, the studio is also putting equal efforts into the input & physics department.
C.A.R.S., which stands for Community Assisted Race Sim, is a new project by Slightly Mad Studios that will allow sim racers to invest in an upcoming simulation title. In return, the investors will get to have a major say in the direction the title will be taking, get development builds and get to follow a completely transparent development process that shows the SMS team at work.
Slightly Mad Studios will be launching the project’s website in a few weeks.

Last edited by Tricky; 15-06-2012 at 08:28 AM.
Old 19-07-2011, 10:45 PM   #2
scuppy182
Race Driver

Rep
vCash
looks stunning those pics.
Old 20-07-2011, 12:24 AM   #3
HLR Milo
Race Team Manager

Gamertag
HLR Milo
Rep
vCash
Awards
Photocomp Winner 
I've just made a mess in my pants.

npower Championship: Huddersfield Town

National Football League: New England Patriots

National Basketball Association: Oklahoma City Thunder
Old 20-07-2011, 10:21 AM   #4
Althasil
FUTCC Founder

Gamertag
Althasil
Rep
vCash
YouTube Profile
Old 12-10-2011, 09:55 AM   #5
Slim
Race team Owner

Gamertag
PzR Slim
Rep
vCash
C.a.r.s.

Want to get involved in the development of a PC Sim racing game? Now's your chance. You can invest anywhere from 10 Euros upto 25,000 Euros for an increasing stake in the direction the game will take. Every one who invests will get a chance to test builds of the game, daily, weekly or monthly builds depending on your level of investment. I've just invested 25 Euros and become a Team Member. If your interested have a look here WMD Portal
Old 12-10-2011, 10:03 AM   #6
Senna s1979
Race team Owner

Rep
vCash

PC C.a.r.s - Forza
Old 12-10-2011, 10:19 AM   #7
Slim
Race team Owner

Gamertag
PzR Slim
Rep
vCash
Originally Posted by Senna s1979 View Post

PC C.a.r.s - Forza

Apologies. Can a mod merge them please.

You going to invest Senna?
Old 12-10-2011, 10:20 AM   #8
Senna s1979
Race team Owner

Rep
vCash
Some videos and new info;

Quote:
Slightly Mad Studios have just officially kicked-off their C.A.R.S. project that is being developed on the company’s all-new WMD portal.
WMD (World of Mass Development) will allow interested gamers to participate in the development of the new title by becoming team members, allowing them to check out the development progress in the WMD forum, talk to the developers, participate in key decisions regarding the game’s direction and enjoy development builds of the new title.
Speaking of which, C.A.R.S. doesn’t make its public launch just with a bunch of previews as team members get to enjoy a working build of the upcoming new title right after sign up. Even though the finished C.A.R.S. won’t ship before Thanksgiving 2012, the current build already includes plenty of content to keep team members entertained.
The current build comes with two tracks (Watkins Glen & Imola) and eight different cars, including known machinery such as the Audi R18 TDI Le Mans winner, the Audi A4 DTM, three different historic Lotus F1 cars, two Radicals and a state of the art Formula Car.
Due to licensing still being in progress, the content still sports fictional names despite being a very accurate representation of the real-life vehicles & venues as C.A.R.S. is pushing to become the definitive racing simulation.
The current build allows to try the cars and tracks in practice mode without AI for infinite laps as more features will be added as development of the title continues. To give you an idea of what’s coming up within the next 12 months, here are some of the planned features for the finished title:
Planned Features
- FRANCHISE MODE allows you to carve out a personalized career starting in the Karting world and then progressing on to whichever motorsport specialization you prefer including Rally, Touring Cars, Open-Wheel, GT, Le Mans, and many more!
- Play CO-OP with a friend as Driver/Co-Driver
- FULL TEAM MANAGEMENT… Have a large number of friends? Create, manage, and compete together!
- Experience the excitement of PIT STOPS like you’ve never seen before!
- Revolutionary PIT-2-CAR RADIO gives you the strategic advantage
- DYNAMIC Time Of Day & Localized Weather make every race unique and challenging
- 10+ GAME MODES covering every form of motorsport
- CLOUD-BASED SOCIAL NETWORK allows you to connect with friends, compare times & scores, compete and challenge each other, and share content
- USER-GENERATED CONTENT – Create your own liveries, decals, tuning setups, and even events! Then share them with the world – either for free, in-game credits or even real money!
- PUSHING TO THE LIMITS – Advanced physics, lighting, and AI
To ensure a realistic experience, Slightly Mad Studios have teamed up with none other than Ben Collins, the man who spent seven years being “The Stig” on BBC’s popular Top Gear automotive show.
“I’m delighted to be working on the C.A.R.S. project to create the best racing simulation in the world! Computer ‘games’ and simulations have become integral to success on the race track and I will be applying all my racing knowledge to provide handling input and advice to the builds on a regular basis,” Collins commented.
“I’m also looking forward to meeting some of the project’s contributors at the trackday events and working with SMS’s team of experts, whose passion and pedigree will be key to the development of this incredibly exciting new model.”
Below are three previews to whet your appetite. To join WMD and start playing the build today, follow the steps below. Interested sim racers can become team members for as little as $10, entitling them to monthly development builds and participation in the WMD forums.
Other membership options even include weekly development-builds, script access to the game, direct contact with the developers and other perks such as your name and face in the finished game and VIP access to future events. For more info on the World of Mass Development concept and the different membership options, check out this page.
To start playing the development build today, follow these three steps.
1.Visit the website & register on the WMD forum.
2. Buy any tool pack to become a member.
3. Download the build (link at the top of the forum main page) and enjoy!
Update:
These are the recommended minimum specs to run the development build:
Quad Core 2.4ghz or better
9800gt 512MB
2GB Ram (3-4GB recommended0

Open in YouTube SD | Open in YouTube HD (when available)

Old 12-10-2011, 10:23 AM   #9
Senna s1979
Race team Owner

Rep
vCash
Originally Posted by Slim View Post
Apologies. Can a mod merge them please.

You going to invest Senna?

Seriously thinking about it.

Might need a new PC to run it, but it's a good excuse (with rFactor 2 as well)

Have you downloaded the latest build @Slim? What's it like?
Old 12-10-2011, 10:27 AM   #10
Tricky
Just Tricky

Gamertag
PzR Tricky
PSN Tag
Tricky4
Rep
vCash
Awards
Member of the Month Best Driver Award 
YouTube Profile
Looks pretty good - since you have to 'invest' to test it out I'll await your thoughts Slim.
Old 12-10-2011, 10:31 AM   #11
Slim
Race team Owner

Gamertag
PzR Slim
Rep
vCash

Only just signed up this morning so will have to wait until I get home before I can try it out.

Originally Posted by Tricky View Post
Looks pretty good - since you have to 'invest' to test it out I'll await your thoughts Slim.

Everything I have heard about it is good. And the investment is not only so you can try it out. You have direct input into the game. Invest enough and you can even be present at developer meetings to determine how the game is developed.
Old 12-10-2011, 10:41 AM   #12
Tricky
Just Tricky

Gamertag
PzR Tricky
PSN Tag
Tricky4
Rep
vCash
Awards
YouTube Profile
When you invest are you actually buying into ownership of the game/product? i.e. when it goes on sale sometime after 'Thanksgiving 2012' you get a little cut?
Old 12-10-2011, 10:52 AM   #13
Slim
Race team Owner

Gamertag
PzR Slim
Rep
vCash
When you invest are you actually buying into ownership of the game/product? i.e. when it goes on sale sometime after 'Thanksgiving 2012' you get a little cut?

Depends on how much you invest I think.

Edit: Seems so.

Quote:
Players to browse available projects and join any they are interested in, download and play regular builds of the game, participate in discussion & polls, speak directly to the developers, and eventually earn money back for their contribution when the game is released

Quote:
For the price of the minimum Tool Pack therefore, you'll be able to see the game being made, speak directly to the developers, and play a new version of the game each month.

Then, when the game is released you'll receive a free copy and potentially money back based on its success and your position in the company.

Interested? Check out the first project to be launched through the WMD Portal - C.A.R.S. - and see how you can get involved!

Last edited by Slim; 12-10-2011 at 10:55 AM.
Old 12-10-2011, 11:03 AM   #14
Tricky
Just Tricky

Gamertag
PzR Tricky
PSN Tag
Tricky4
Rep
vCash
Awards
YouTube Profile
Originally Posted by Slim View Post
Depends on how much you invest I think.

Edit: Seems so.

Yeah I was more thinking what the insensitive was to invest big. Having a say in the development wouldn't be enough. Interesting way in for some though, if you start investing 1000's you'd want to know what kind of return to expect.
Old 12-10-2011, 11:12 AM   #15
Slim
Race team Owner

Gamertag
PzR Slim
Rep
vCash
Yeah I was more thinking what the insensitive was to invest big. Having a say in the development wouldn't be enough. Interesting way in for some though, if you start investing 1000's you'd want to know what kind of return to expect.

I guess it's like any investment. The potential for zero return is there but if it's a success the potential return could be large.

Here's a pdf explaining it all http://wmdportal.com/wp-content/uplo...rview_1011.pdf

And the potential profit.

For an investment of 25 Euros if the game sold 250,000 across 4 platforms your return would be 27.50 Euros, if it sold 1 million copies across 4 platforms your return would be 110 Euros. A 100 Euro investment would see those figures jump to 112.50 and 450 Euros respectively. That's based on
Quote:
BASED ON 1 YEAR DEVELOPMENT COSTING €3.75M AND 150 TEAM MEMBERS PER TOOL PACK

Old 12-10-2011, 11:16 AM   #16
Tricky
Just Tricky

Gamertag
PzR Tricky
PSN Tag
Tricky4
Rep
vCash
Awards
YouTube Profile
It's a genius idea to be honest. All these racing sim fans that invest and are motivated to give input and community influence all these investors are bound to have as well. Has a good chance of doing well, if the product is up to scratch

Since I have a 'gaming' PC and a wheel I'll consider it once I've heard some experiences.
Old 12-10-2011, 11:21 AM   #17
Slim
Race team Owner

Gamertag
PzR Slim
Rep
vCash
It's a genius idea to be honest. All these racing sim fans that invest and are motivated to give input and community influence all these investors are bound to have as well. Has a good chance of doing well, if the product is up to scratch

Since I have a 'gaming' PC and a wheel I'll consider it once I've heard some experiences.

I thinks it's a good idea too. Seems it must be difficult to get investment from the usual sources these days. I initially thought it was all about sim racers getting input into a game but reading that PDF if you invest over a 1000 Euros you actually get in game sponsorship and car liveries created for you. I'm not going to miss £20 in the grand scheme of things and if that gets me a top PC sim game and a £100 return at the end of it then I'll be a happy bunny.
Old 12-10-2011, 11:26 AM   #18
HLR Milo
Race Team Manager

Gamertag
HLR Milo
Rep
vCash
Awards
Photocomp Winner 
Was thinking the same Slim, its a shame the builds couldn't be made avalilibe over XBL for the xbox owners....too much hassel I guess.

npower Championship: Huddersfield Town

National Football League: New England Patriots

National Basketball Association: Oklahoma City Thunder
Old 12-10-2011, 11:29 AM   #19
Tricky
Just Tricky

Gamertag
PzR Tricky
PSN Tag
Tricky4
Rep
vCash
Awards
YouTube Profile
You quoted that investors get the game free, but that PDF adds that it will use the free 2 play model anyway. It does say supported by micro-transactions so hopefully you'd get some extra stuff for free there.
Old 12-10-2011, 11:37 AM   #20
Slim
Race team Owner

Gamertag
PzR Slim
Rep
vCash
You quoted that investors get the game free, but that PDF adds that it will use the free 2 play model anyway. It does say supported by micro-transactions so hopefully you'd get some extra stuff for free there.

Yeah I'm reading more into that. Seems that they are going to let the modding community release mods for it that users will have to pay micro transactions for. That way the modders get a return for their work.
Old 12-10-2011, 01:15 PM   #21
scuppy182
Race Driver

Rep
vCash

and battlefield
Old 12-10-2011, 04:58 PM   #22
TfR J0ssu
Race Driver

Gamertag
agent estonia
Rep
vCash
Twitter Profile YouTube Profile
Send a message via MSN to TfR J0ssu
Wow, how have I missed it here on the site before!
Looks and sounds so very good, I am also thinking of investing at the moment
Old 13-10-2011, 03:52 PM   #23
Slim
Race team Owner

Gamertag
PzR Slim
Rep
vCash
Triple screen vids. Worth changing these to 1080p and running full screen.

Old 13-10-2011, 04:07 PM   #24
Senna s1979
Race team Owner

Rep
vCash
Stunning. Best looking racing game out there (and it's not even finished!).
Old 13-10-2011, 06:10 PM   #25
TfR J0ssu
Race Driver

Gamertag
agent estonia
Rep
vCash
Twitter Profile YouTube Profile
Send a message via MSN to TfR J0ssu
Want this game! now!!!
Old 03-11-2011, 01:22 AM   #26
Slim
Race team Owner

Gamertag
PzR Slim
Rep
vCash

Old 03-11-2011, 08:39 AM   #27
VR6
Local Nutter

Gamertag
PZR vr6
Rep
vCash
WANT!!!
is it hardcore sim or acady?
i really want a gpl remake

flames
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rIrEtrkrapw

futcc season 1 champion
season 1 16 races 15 wins
season 2 10 races 7 wins 2 2nds

total futcc 26 races 22 wins
gtc seaon 1 9 races 5 wins 8 podiums RUNNER UP GRRRR
Old 03-11-2011, 09:04 AM   #28
PzR Enzo Smithers
FUTCC Steward

Gamertag
PzR Enzo
Rep
vCash
You had a chance to try it yet Slim? I had seen this a few weeks ago and am tempted to make an investment similar to yours. Let me know your thoughts on it do far when u get a chance mate
Old 03-11-2011, 10:03 AM   #29
Slim
Race team Owner

Gamertag
PzR Slim
Rep
vCash
Originally Posted by Enzo Smithers View Post
You had a chance to try it yet Slim? I had seen this a few weeks ago and am tempted to make an investment similar to yours. Let me know your thoughts on it do far when u get a chance mate

I had quite a good go on an earlier build, it looks superb and the physics did feel as though they were around about where they should be. Wheel support wasn't great at the time so I've been waiting for an improved build as well as far too much time playing FM4 and BF3 so will have to sit down at some point and give the new build a good go.
Old 03-11-2011, 10:10 AM   #30
Senna s1979
Race team Owner

Rep
vCash

Surprised that under @Slim's user name there is not a 'Banned'...... I thought posting p0rn was banned on this site

Looks great.

@VR6 - They are going down the hardcore Sim route - they are the guys responsible for the GT-R games on PC and the NFS Shift games (they can be excused for the Shift games as they were/are an effort to make Grid-like games).
The community basically help decide the direction of the game, and most PC players are simmers, so should be in that vein.

Tags
101, advice, battlefield, big, cars, challenge, club, competition, driving, engine, final, fm4, free, games, happy, interest, king, knowledge, online, page, points, portal, practice, race, racing, replica, requests, running, tapatalk, tuning, upcoming, world, xbox